starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arms training (intermediate progression)

Default Arms training (intermediate progression)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What are the key exercises to get arms big and strong after the novice phase? Are curls and LTEs worth the time or is it all about weighted chins and presses?

I don't know.

If you get your press to 300, your arms will probably be pretty big.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't know.
    While I'm sure Rip does know, its not his speciality. Strength is.

There are plenty of bodybuilding forums that can offer advice (higher volume, less rest), whether the trade off is worth it is entirely up to you.

I'm sure Kali Muscle and Rich Piano know better. The best natty bb in the universe.

I hear a lot of good things about heavy barbell curls, whether straight or EZ bar. I've noticed since adding them to my own training for fun a few weeks ago that I finish the last 1/4 of chinup reps a lot stronger; it's getting much easier to touch my chest to the crossbar now. That could also be caused by doing the chins themselves but it's been too sudden of an improvement for me to think so. I program them in the same sense as everything else: 2 - 3 sets of 5 reps after my deadlifts, 1lb increase each workout.

Make sure to do them inside of a rack so that the rest of the gym will watch you (audience-induced performance gainz).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't know.
    I watched your podcast about "training for aesthetics" and I thought you could answer my question since bigger and stronger arms are "aesthetic". I am a young guy and I want to look good, I apology for that.

The point of the podcast is that your arms will grow anyway, along with everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    I watched your podcast about "training for aesthetics" and I thought you could answer my question since bigger and stronger arms are "aesthetic". I am a young guy and I want to look good, I apology for that.
    I have big arms and a good bench. My experience is that training arms every day does nothing to impact my recovery for bench pressing 3 times a week on sheiko style programming. I have a large work capacity for upperbody so YMMV. Perhaps try adding in 3x20 for tri's/bi's on each upper body day and then incrementally add more. I pretty much can do the same wrt upper back as well (lat pulls, krock rows etc...)

*note* - I also thing it's important to mention that I never go to failure on these exercises. If I did, I think my recovery story would be different.

starting strength coach development program
    As an intermediate if you want to add curls and LTEs to your exercise selection then do so. I'd probably use one of Andy's power building programs. Keep doing your presses and chins, the heavy work is ultimately more important.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast