starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Physical Potential

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach Rip,

Every time you use 38'' as an example of a high SVJ, I get the weird feeling you are talking about me in particular
    I remember the guy with the highest SVJ at LSU back in my day, was our tight end, 6'4'' tall, 42'' jump. I was so jealous.

Living in Plano, TX I do get frustrated at many parents who have aspirations of their very normal kids being able to play college, much less pro, sports. Totally not in the cards, yet they waste all this time and money on "Select Sports" and personal training when the kids does not have a prayer of making it.

Quote Originally Posted by k_dean_curtis View Post

Living in Plano, TX I do get frustrated at many parents who have aspirations of their very normal kids being able to play college, much less pro, sports. Totally not in the cards, yet they waste all this time and money on "Select Sports" and personal training when the kids does not have a prayer of making it.
    If you mean "on TV Division 1 college" when you say "college" you've got a point. There seem to be quite genetically ordinary, if dedicated, kids playing all kinds of sports at some D3 schools, and also some playing the more obscure sports in the bigger programs (like squash).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I can think of no physical circumstance in which a big SVJ is a liability.
    Diving through a window? You might overshoot...

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    "Ceteris paribus," though right.. assuming they're both trained in the same manner, the one with more type-I's is going to do better in the endurance based event--just like the opposite is true: a gal with more type-II's is going to do better in a sprint than a gal with more type-I's (everything else the same). I don't think there's any point of contention there. I just need to be cleared up on the difference between muscle-fiber-type-distribution and neuromuscular efficiency/ineffeciency--and the advantages/disadvantages thereof.

Here's Feigenbaum from an article of his on BBM (his articulation is certainly better than mine):

"...Second, when thinking of a sport like CrossFit does it even pay to be super athletic? Sure, having great body awareness, great hand-eye coordination, and being somewhat explosive would help, but it’s definitely possible to go too far. Consider the vertical jump test, which is a commonly used metric to determine how explosive an athlete is compared to another or a previous test of the individual. It’s relatively cheap (either need a Vertec machine or a piece of chalk), it’s low skill, and it doesn’t improve that much with training (~20%) outside of drastic weight loss situation (for more on this click here -see section on SVJ). Most guys are going to test around 22″ with women being lower, about 14″. Now, say you have a guy coming to CrossFit with a 40″ vertical jump. Whoa ATHLETE alert, right? But not so fast…..being really explosive can be advantageous in sports when the effort is brief, i.e. a running back or wide receiver, but this actually can be a disadvantage when the efforts get longer, as the athlete who is genetically wired up to be very explosive will get fatigued too quickly. Basically, if you have a neuromuscular-derived advantage in creating a lot force quickly, i.e. you’re very explosive, that same neuromuscular system betrays you when you need to produce sub-maximal amounts of force over a long period of time. There’s no such thing as a biological free lunch here, folks. Just to drive this point home, consider that at the 2012 CrossFit Games Rich Froning got 16th in the standing broad jump event w/ 104 inches (8 feet 8 inches). This test is yet another measure of inherent explosive ability and while Rich’s effort was great, it puts him on par with the offensive tackle’s in the NFL (source). For reference, the explosive players in the NFL like the wide receivers, corner backs, etc. jump in the 120″ range, over a full foot more than Rich."

Powerlifter Switches to CrossFit, ?Competes? in the Open, Hilarity Ensues | Barbell Medicine
    Well, I guess I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Well, I guess I'm wrong.
    Sarcasm sense tingling.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    If you mean "on TV Division 1 college" when you say "college" you've got a point. There seem to be quite genetically ordinary, if dedicated, kids playing all kinds of sports at some D3 schools, and also some playing the more obscure sports in the bigger programs (like squash).
    Good point. Yes, by "college" I meant "D1 on TV" as that was my background, and where the parents want their kids to go. Around here it will be OU, UT, T A&M, and even a few LSUs. None of these folk's goal is for the kid to be second string at North Southwestern Upper Michigan junior college playing second string with no full ride scholarship. They spend tons of money and time that could have been way better spent on education, music, or any number of other things that are actually better for the kid. As for full contact football, people ask me all the time if I had a boy would I let him play, and the answer is a great big no. An even bigger no for boys and girls soccer. The injury rate is absurd, there should be lawsuits on the coaches and leagues from every direction.

It is the same mentality as Crossfit. Some kind of badge of honor to get a life long injury for your "sport". Ridiculous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12