starting strength gym

Thread: Calorie consumption for novices

Default Calorie consumption for novices

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am just now starting a 5 rep program on the major compounds squat, bench, deadlift, OP, and rows. I'm 6' tall, 167/8 pounds, and my lifts are as follows:

Squat 225x5
    Dead ~245x5
    Bench 175x5
    OP 105x5
    Row 105x5

I'm still getting leaner despite surpassing the 500kcal over maintainence common suggestion. I remember you saying that couch guy gaining 100 pounds of Doritos and soda weight would gain about 25 pounds of muscle anyway. How much in excess can I actually eat before I lose any benefit from it? I assume 10,000 calories a day wouldn't be much more helpful than 8,000. What's a good number? I just want to build and lift as much as possible. I'm alright with gaining fat for sure. I just don't want it to be pointless, or more expensive than it needs to be.

Appreciate all of your work uncle Rip.

Sweet nectar, thank you. I'll add a thousand calories to my diet henceforth. (Probably be around 5k)

Quote Originally Posted by cfreetenor View Post
    I'm still getting leaner despite surpassing the 500kcal over maintainence common suggestion.
    "over maintenance" means gaining weight. I highly doubt you're getting leaner while gaining weight at 6' 170 lbs. If you're losing weight, you're under maintenance...add calories until you're gaining weight.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity0891 View Post
    "over maintenance" means gaining weight. I highly doubt you're getting leaner while gaining weight at 6' 170 lbs. If you're losing weight, you're under maintenance...add calories until you're gaining weight.
    I got a gym membership at the beginning of June. Last time I lifted seriously was 2011 at 19 years old. It is possible for me to get leaner for a period whole gaining weight. But I am hitting that wall around this point in time, probably.

My calorie intake is 4.5k-5k per day.