starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio podcast: Is Physical Therapy Fraud?

Default Audio podcast: Is Physical Therapy Fraud?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Out of the park. Thank you!

I'm working with my brother to strengthen him for wheelchair transfers with the press. His strength has doubled twice in two weeks. He spent 17 days in the ICU so we literally started at zero.

His PT is having him do 2 pound dumbbell curls for sets of 15 reps. You can't make this stuff up. Can anyone explain to me how sets of 15 with a 2 pound dumbbell is supposed to help him get in and out of his wheelchair?

It's the only "therapy" the poor kid knows how to do, because that's all he was taught.

Good time for this audio podcast. My training was interrupted, again, for surgery (3rd time in 3 years). A meniscus tear that was causing my knee to lock followed by about 5 days of swelling.

It's been two weeks since the surgery and I want to get back in the gym. At $50 a pop / 3x a week I am opting to rehab this on my own. I have had two shoulder surgeries since 2014 and I have seen the protocol for meniscus tears while doing PT. I can do everything they do in PT at my gym for $30 a month. This is a no-brainer.

That said, do you have a suggested protocol for post knee surgery similar to the post shoulder surgery one? I can bend the knee to about 100 degrees but it is still sore and swollen. I assume that since there was no real repair, just removal of the torn material, that I can pretty much let pain be my guide. My plan was to start with leg presses just to play it safe.

BTW - the shoulder protocol worked great for me. I will post something else about that later.

Specifics of the surgery?

Diagnosis - same pre and post op.

1. Medial meniscal tear, left knee.
    2. Synovitis, hypertrophic synovium three compartments.

Procedures

1. Arthroscopic surgery or the left knee with partial medial mensicectomy.
    2. Synovectomy of hypertrophic synovium three compartments.

Findings

Some grade 4 chondromalacia of the femoral trochlea medial sided, grade 3 chondromalacia of the medial hemijoint. No significant lateral chondromalacia.

Let me know if you need more.

Thanks.

Was your knee mechanically locking before the surgery?

Yes. Not every time, though. In fact, most times it did not. Sometimes it would happen just getting out of my truck. Other times it happened while squatting. There was always pain associated with it but the level of pain was smaller getting out of the truck than squatting. I am not sure if my definition of locking is the same as yours (or anyone else's). The lock felt like something trapped in the joint. After it locked there was pain with both flexion or extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dsm View Post
    Yes. Not every time, though. In fact, most times it did not. Sometimes it would happen just getting out of my truck. Other times it happened while squatting. There was always pain associated with it but the level of pain was smaller getting out of the truck than squatting. I am not sure if my definition of locking is the same as yours (or anyone else's). The lock felt like something trapped in the joint. After it locked there was pain with both flexion or extension.
    If it was locking, the surgery was necessary. Many times it isn't, and it is performed anyway. After a procedure like this, train as soon as possible, no special reps, start light, let the pain be your guide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast