starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Podcast #50: RPE and AGW Theology

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    They know exactly what they are doing, they would just rather talk about something else. It is not an "unintended consequence," as they like to say. It is the intended consequence. If you look at all lefty ideas this way, it all becomes clear. Why do they keep enacting laws that constantly have so many "unintended consequences" while never addressing the stated problem? It's because they never cared about the stated problem. It was a front. The consequences they got were the consequences they intended. We need to stop letting them off the hook.
    Every time I go through the fucking TSA at the airport I ask myself if W could actually have been this stupid. It seems more likely that the intention was the result, and that makes him evil, not stupid. Like his daddy and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Every time I go through the fucking TSA at the airport I ask myself if W could actually have been this stupid. It seems more likely that the intention was the result, and that makes him evil, not stupid. Like his daddy and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
    Yeah, it's puzzling to me why the left hated W so much. He did so many things they support. If he were a Democrat, they would be having school children sing songs about how wonderful he is.

Funny you should bring the TSA up. I was just ruminating over a claim by a captain of industry on an old Law and Order episode who claimed that an increased standard of care would bankrupt businesses like the airlines if they were required to search every passenger. I concluded that Bush simply transferred that cost from the airlines and airport authorities to the taxpayers by creating the TSA as a government agency and hence paid for with our taxes.

I don't think it takes four years to tune yourself to RPE.
    At least to get some basic use out of it.
    IMO, maybe middle stage intermediate should be able to feel their way through this.

Regarding: "feel like a pile of dead rats" scenario . . . thats a rare exception.
    For every ONE time I actually set a PR under those crappy feelz conditions;
    there were maybe TEN times where I did not hit the Rx'd weights and/or reps.
    Whereas I felt like crap, the warm ups felt like crap, and the worksets/topset did NOT work out at all (big surprise).
    Just took on a bunch more stress and fatigue I didn't necessarily need at the time.

But yes, novices should stay away from this.
    And I'm pretty sure most who advocate RPE at a tool would (probably) say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    rip, is the wall poster to which you referred available online? in a text/reference book? was curious since i have never a climate change timeline drawn in geologic-time scale....usually they only go back a couple hundred years
    this^

please link the source of the chart on the wall

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    For every ONE time I actually set a PR under those crappy feelz conditions;
    there were maybe TEN times where I did not hit the Rx'd weights and/or reps.
    Whereas I felt like crap, the warm ups felt like crap, and the worksets/topset did NOT work out at all (big surprise).
    Just took on a bunch more stress and fatigue I didn't necessarily need at the time.
    I think you may be referring to snatch/clean & jerk PRs. They are different from strength PRs for several reasons.

please link the source of the chart on the wall
    When I get back. I'm out of town till next week, can't see the chart from here.

When I get back. I'm out of town till next week, can't see the chart from here.
    spacedriver linked this geologic timetable:http://www.biocab.org/Geological_TS_SL_and_CO2.jpg

He's asking about the chart on my wall at the gym

I really don't understand this RPE hysteria, to me it's just a way to measure the effort of a set. Some people talk about RPE programming, when did this modest tool to measure the effort become a program? How can it be a program?

Quote Originally Posted by jhoyda View Post
    Did you buy the paper? This interests me "Here, I compare 490 published proxy records of CO2 spanning the Ordovician to Neogene." What proxies did they use?
    I included a full text link, no need to buy.

starting strength coach development program
    He's asking about the chart on my wall at the gym
    Dayyyyummm, I can see that just fine!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast