starting strength gym
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Platform video: How to Use The Prowler

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So is a more upright position simply not going to work for me given the current prowler/driveway combination? (see the video in my previous post)

You know you're supposed to put weights on the poles, right?

Yes. See my post in this thread from July 15 with the weight info. Even with weights it tips forward if I try to adopt a more vertical pushing position.

This is only a problem with this prowler on this driveway. I'm just wondering if this is a cheap prowler issue or human stupidity issue (and what to correct if the latter).

It tips forward with 90 pounds on the posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It tips forward with 90 pounds on the posts?
    Correct. The concrete on the driveway is coarse and the prowler's feet are stamped metal. I've also noticed that the grip height is higher than the distance from the rear supports to the front support (bad geometry for the applied force).

Stamped metal? Define.

I have the same sled in Greg's video. It's from Dick's, and I paid about $130 for it a few weeks ago. I push it in my cul-de-sac (old asphalt). Last time, on the last push, I intended to push it up the driveway to the garage to finish. As soon as I hit my concrete driveway, the thing stopped DEAD and the rear skids lifted, with 90# on the poles. Greg's concrete looks more coarse than mine, so I think it's purely a friction issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Stamped metal? Define.
    I believe the geometry of the prowler is much more important but here's a picture. It's a thin plate that was stamped out on a press and not a thicker plate that you'd find on a quality sled. I don't know if there is a difference in friction between the two styles of feet but thought to include the information.

20170727_233459.jpg

I think it's purely a friction issue
    Thanks Sutures, I also think it's a friction issue but wanted to rule out user error.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    I believe the geometry of the prowler is much more important but here's a picture. It's a thin plate that was stamped out on a press and not a thicker plate that you'd find on a quality sled.
    The manufacturing process is going to make little difference. As you said, the geometry is going to make far more. The material interaction is the material interaction. It doesn't matter how it's made (unless that significantly effects the material characteristics). Stamped steel vs laser cut steel vs abrasion cut steel vs bandsaw cut steel isn't going to be different at all on the face (assuming the steel is all the same and the heat effected zones aren't too hot when cut).

Can you put up a full picture of the prowler?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast