starting strength gym

Thread: SSC Preperation

Default SSC Preperation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

I am a practicing physical therapist in the Chicago land area. I came across your videos on YouTube several months ago with Brett McKay on performing the squat, press, deadlift, and so on. I have also been an individual who enjoys training, but has also suffered from some reoccurring back issues. To make a long story short all the "core" exercises (I know how much you love that word) did nothing for me, but deadlifting and squatting as you instruct in your books have made it to where my back doesn't bother me anymore. I have read Starting Strength and am working on finishing Practical Programming as well. I am doing the LP right now and have experienced awesome increases in strength. My goal is to become a SSC in the future and bring this stuff into the PT world as it is desperately needed. I plan on going through the books several more times. I have also ordered Brooks and Fahey physiology, plan on attending a seminar in the future, and watch platform videos. Is there anything else you would recommend? Thank you for helping my back not bother me anymore, and also thank you for all the work you guys do.

P.S.: I am aware of your feelings on PT's from watching several of your videos (of which I enjoy thoroughly), and what you have said has really opened my eyes in my profession.

There are several great coaches located in the Chicago area. I would strongly suggest you start working with one of them soon. It will help you get further along a lot quicker, and that will be helpful because becoming a competent coach in this model takes time. And you are in luck, there is a seminar in Chicago in November, so you can get a head start on preparing to make the most out of that experience.

I have helped develop a few SSC's and am in the process of developing several more. My words of advice would be to: Get to a seminar, read all of the material, get as strong as you possibly can, work with a coach or several, and start coaching as many people as you can once you are more familiar with the material.

Best of luck. Don't be afraid to reach out for help.