starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Score one for the Barbell!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Oh, and the multiple usernames don't help your case either.
    I forgot to check that. Apparently he is PutinBot and atabooty. Pick the one you want to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by udderfilt View Post
    It seem did seem like you had admonished the standard of conventional orthopedic medicine in the US with your first post in this thread. John and Sean are reporting difficulties getting through to the medical community as well. Maybe it is fair to say that you are a successful author and businessman, but an outsider to high level medical science, that you promulgate a set of medical practices which are scientifically untested, however seemingly irrefutable?
    Jesus christ not this again.... This is going to be the chase OHP thread all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Of course, this is probably a wasted effort, since, even though I think Rip is often too quick to call troll, I admit I'm likely too slow to do the same. He's been at it longer, maybe my patience hasn't been tested enough yet.

Oh, and the multiple usernames don't help your case either.
    Also the hilariously sesquipedalian style of speech is a usual indicator. (Irony in word choice intended)

Was udderfilt's post an unfair discussion point for this thread? Why ban him?

And I share the same sentiment: if barbell training can do all these great things, then why hasn't it really caught on, outside of these niche internet communities such as SS?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I forgot to check that. Apparently he is PutinBot and atabooty. Pick the one you want to keep.
    Going to have to go with "atabooty"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    As unseemly and abrupt as this may be, I find myself developing a mild dislike for you.
    Hahahaha.

A small point of order. It is not the strength training community's responsibility to teach the medical community how healing works.

This is not to say that the strength training community does not have something to offer. This is to say if they want to learn it, they should pay someone competent to train them. That being the case, how can there be a "failure to reach the medical community"? No check has cleared. Just because they are wrong does not make it our responsibility to "fix them".

This only comes up when the medical community's lack of understanding (which is not universal, we have counter examples) conflicts with sound training advice.

Rip and others have gone so far as to demonstrate why their advice is better in certain cases. This is where their responsibility ends. It can be argued that it does not extend that far!!!

If there is any fault to be found, it would be a lack of receptivity by much of the medical community to superior understanding and superior results. Some fault lies with a legal system, in which, being open to better ideas is being open to lawsuit.

This combination has impeded progress, but does not pass the responsibility for progress to the strength training community.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    I wish I knew someone in my area like this to refer to. I'd agree that most docs don't know shit about the rehab potential of a well designed weight program. But those who do don't have anyone to refer to, and we sure as shit don't have the time to train the patients ourselves. I can tell them to do a few things, but they really need coaching and programming, which I don't have time for and can't get paid for, anyway (nor do I have much experience training injured and broken people). So, while I am well aware that my inpatient or outpatient rehab referral is mostly worthless, it's the best I have.
    You can always tell them to move to Bedford Texas? I signed a five year lease on my place. I'll be here awhile..

Quote Originally Posted by quasamshine View Post

And I share the same sentiment: if barbell training can do all these great things, then why hasn't it really caught on, outside of these niche internet communities such as SS?
    Perhaps Uddrfilt/PutinBot/attabooty has discovered a way to make a 4th account from a different ISP. Will wants attabooty to remain. Thus shall it be.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by quasamshine View Post

I suppose it's a fair question. But if you look more closely, you'll find this type of stuff in all fields. We've talked about some of them concerning medicine. Hypertension is a good example. It's extremely common, easy to understand, simple to treat, yet virtually everyone is doing a really terrible job when everyone should really be nailing this one. Cholesterol is not as great of an example. It's similar, but the information is new enough that it's more understandable that people fuck it up so badly. Still shouldn't happen, but when you have major guidelines saying the things that are exactly what you shouldn't do (ATP4), it gets complicated.

Also, not all patients are going to go for strength training. I personally think they should know what they should be doing to get better, and then if they decide not to, OK. It's on them. Most patients won't even go to regular rehab unless it's covered by insurance. If they have to pay for it, forget it. Doesn't matter if they will lose function. It's not an argument you're going to win.

Why do people still smoke? You can't get them to stop no matter what you tell them and no matter what happens to them. I see people all the time who have finally stopped smoking...after they have no lung tissue left, have metastatic cancer or a major stroke or heart attack. Then they start again a little while later. Who cares at that point? I'm like, "why quit now?!" Knock yourself out. I just discharged a youngish guy who told me he finally quit smoking. You put a stethoscope on his back and you hear nothing. Virtually no air movement at all and he's tripoding and guppy breathing. He has maybe 5% lung tissue remaining. He's on 6L O2 and PRN trilogy unit at home. All he can do without getting winded is watch TV. Why bother stopping now?

Also: Smart people learn from their mistakes. Really smart people learn from the mistakes of others.

If you can't set an example, at least your life can serve as a warning to others.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast