starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you add salt to your food

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I could just google-fu, but... If I've been consuming an ungodly amount of fluids consistently, but I still consistently feel thirsty, could that be a symptom related to not getting enough sodium? I was thinking it was just an allergy symptom, but the sodium thing has been back of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post
    How much salt do you add?
    Like a smidge. A sprinkle. Certainly more than a dash. Enough for it to visibly show up on non-white whey. I don't really measure it, I maybe pour salt for a second or two. The scale shows it as 1g (added to the whey in the bottle), but it's probably a little less. Decimals don't show up on my scale, so I reckon the whey is a little over the 40g I put in and the added salt pushes it to 41g. Like with Rip, though, just to taste. If your shake still tastes oversweet, probably add some more. If it gets a salty aftertaste, keep it there. Salty aftertastes are great.

N-no homo

Hey, that's another reason to pick up strength training. You actually get to learn how to cook food properly. So, bro tip: when adding salt, more is more. In fear of "undersalting" and "overpeppering", I think to add more salt than I think to need and less pepper. Usually works out well. Overpeppering is really easy, sadly.

Jordan, how does one find out if their particular blood pressure variant owes itself to sodium sensitivity?

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    I add salt to my protein shake. Makes it taste less like oversweet garbage. Srs.
    Make your protein shake with thick buttermilk. Cuts the oversweet nature of the drink, and the texture is delicious.

All my life I have heard we eat too much salt. And I have also heard that you need potassium for cramping When you exercise. I seldom add sat to my meals. I eat a lot of steak. I rub salt and pepper into the steak before cooking for flavor. Lately it has been quite hot.
    I drink a lot of Gatorade (g2. Less sugar). Usually I will drink 4 32 oz bottles per day on weekends. I am out all day working. I will also drink 3-4 liters of water and a few soft drinks. I might also thro a beer into the mix at lunch. 4 bottles of gatorade is 450 mg potassium and 1600 mg sodium. The gauge my intake needs by how bad my calves and hamstrings cramp at night.

This thread reminds me of Star Trek for some reason.

M-113_creature.jpg

Never add salt. And I'm known as someone who complain about too salty food, while others dont. Don't have high BP yet, but just have used not to add it to my food. Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    That said, you raise a good point about rehydration as most fluid replacement solutions are hypotonic and would actually further contribute to deficit. Gatorade comes to mind here, as it's sodium content is well below what is needed to replenish.
    Hi, I wonder what your (or others) current recommendation for fluid replacement for rehydration would be? In your nutrition forum you mention chicken noodle soup, or a bouillon cube in gatorade?

This is timely since I walked the golf course (carrying clubs) yesterday without appreciating the heat humidity combo until a couple of holes into the round. I'm 67 and my buddy is 64. I ended up drinking 2 20oz bottle of G2 gatorade, 4 8oz bottles of water while on the course, had a beer and salty nuts after, and then two glasses of water after that. Did not produce any urine at all until 2 1/2 hours after finish. I would assume I was way low on sodium, probably other things too, as well as dehydrated.

Lugging that much chicken soup around wouldn't be convenient. But there is gatorade (G2 and regular) available at 3 locations, water at every other hole, and if there is a better commercial solution I could probably successfully lobby for our club to stock it at the 3 locations. Or, I could put some bouillon cubes in my golf bag.

But, is there some better solution?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    One should only worry about sodium intake if they have a high blood pressure variant owing itself to sodium sensitivity. Otherwise, the rest of this sentence is bullshit.

Marenghi, are you aware that nearly all folks who train (endurance, strength, or otherwise) in warm or humid environments are asymptomatically hyponatremic post workout? The effect of this is unknown, but what would you do if you knew your sodium level was- say 129? Nothing. 125? Nothing. 120? Go to the hospital. It's not like the athletes are calculating their sodium deficits and replacing them in a manner that requires monitoring, hypertonic solutions, or fluid boluses given at particular intervals. This doesn't happen even at the highest levels, so it is you who does not know what you're talking about.
    But Maranghi is an Exercise Physiologist. Like the lifter who wins the Olympics, whatever he says must be correct, because he is an Exercise Physiologist.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    Make your protein shake with thick buttermilk. Cuts the oversweet nature of the drink, and the texture is delicious.
    Gonna have to try that sometime. Maybe once I find out if I like buttermilk or not. Last time I tried, I was 8 and I hated it. Good times.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast