starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you add salt to your food

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    The average American eats 3400mg of sodium, which is not salt. Some evidence quoted in a review of thus topic suggests 3-6g sodium per day for optimal morbidity and mortality. For lifters and athletes, this is far too low
    Doc, do you have any recommendations on potassium consumption? Thanks

1. Guesstimate your sodium losses. Weigh yourself before/after training. Look for salty taste, residues of your sweat. For the OCD: Get your sweat measured, sodium content ranges from 200 to 2000mg/l. Track your sodium intake for a couple of days.

2. Eat accordingly.

3. Worry about too much salt if you have high blood pressure, eat a lot of salty, processed foods (bacon, cheese, pickled/salt-dried fish, salty soups...) and dont sweat much.

Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    1. Guesstimate your sodium losses. Weigh yourself before/after training. Look for salty taste, residues of your sweat. For the OCD: Get your sweat measured, sodium content ranges from 200 to 2000mg/l. Track your sodium intake for a couple of days.

2. Eat accordingly.

3. Worry about too much salt if you have high blood pressure, eat a lot of salty, processed foods (bacon, cheese, pickled/salt-dried fish, salty soups...) and dont sweat much.
    Yes, be sure to monitor sodium intake if you're serious about strength and check the residue of your sweat for a salty taste. Perhaps measure your sweat just to be sure. LOL what a bunch of mental patients.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    I can't imagine caring about some average - legit or not - instead of my own consumption.
    The average person's stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by TarzanMoosefart View Post
    Will you be adding sodium to your Gainzz supplement now? How did anyone make gains before you came along?
    It already has some sodium.

Yes, be sure to monitor sodium intake if you're serious about strength and check the residue of your sweat for a salty taste. Perhaps measure your sweat just to be sure. LOL what a bunch of mental patients.
    Its more important for endurance athletes (which monitor their sodium intake), so if you clearly dont have a clue about what athletes do, you should refrain from behaving like a child ridiculing what you in your small universe hadnt known.

I add salt to my protein shake. Makes it taste less like oversweet garbage. Srs.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    I add salt to my protein shake. Makes it taste less like oversweet garbage. Srs.
    I do this too. it makes it taste far better.

How much salt do you add? Thats a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Some evidence quoted in a review of thus topic suggests 3-6g sodium per day for optimal morbidity and mortality. For lifters and athletes, this is far too low
    Do you personally do anything to increase your sodium intake or do you get enough from food you eat?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bernhard View Post
    Doc, do you have any recommendations on potassium consumption? Thanks
    The most recent estimation I've seen suggests over 90% of Americans are low on potassium intake compared to the recommended intake, 4500mg or so as I recall, though this is higher than that of other countries. Leafy greens, beans, and potatoes should get you there. There's some evidence suggesting low potassium intakes contribute to high blood pressure by altering the sodium balance, but this is only in a certain cohort of individuals.

Sigh. You cannot guesstimate your sodium losses so to suggest one do this is foolish. Did you know that in order to replace 1L of fluid loss during exercise, one would need to drink 1.5L of isotonic fluids?

Do not get your sweat tested either, as it does not do anything with respect to managing sodium intake.

Tracking sodium may be useful in order to establish a baseline, however.

2. Eat accordingly.
    WTF does this mean?

One should only worry about sodium intake if they have a high blood pressure variant owing itself to sodium sensitivity. Otherwise, the rest of this sentence is bullshit.

Just Marenghi.

Quote Originally Posted by ddhahn View Post
    It already has some sodium.
    Yea we were trying to add more, but the taste suffered greatly in the context of the citrulline malate. Still, we have a decent amount and I would otherwise recommend 500mg sodium pre and post workout

Its more important for endurance athletes (which monitor their sodium intake), so if you clearly dont have a clue about what athletes do, you should refrain from behaving like a child ridiculing what you in your small universe hadnt known.
    Marenghi, are you aware that nearly all folks who train (endurance, strength, or otherwise) in warm or humid environments are asymptomatically hyponatremic post workout? The effect of this is unknown, but what would you do if you knew your sodium level was- say 129? Nothing. 125? Nothing. 120? Go to the hospital. It's not like the athletes are calculating their sodium deficits and replacing them in a manner that requires monitoring, hypertonic solutions, or fluid boluses given at particular intervals. This doesn't happen even at the highest levels, so it is you who does not know what you're talking about.

That said, you raise a good point about rehydration as most fluid replacement solutions are hypotonic and would actually further contribute to deficit. Gatorade comes to mind here, as it's sodium content is well below what is needed to replenish.

Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post

Do you personally do anything to increase your sodium intake or do you get enough from food you eat?
    I add table salt to all my meals.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast