starting strength gym
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Do you add salt to your food

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Is there any evidence that your normal thirst response in inadequate for this purpose? How about you just drink water until you're no longer thirsty? Or do you just have the psychological need to complicate the uncomplicated?
    Yea, there is- though again of dubious quality because what are we testing? In other words, we know that the thirst response is late from a volume-standpoint, i.e. we are hypovolemic at the point we get thirsty. To what effect this has on performance is complicated. Some studies suggest a small loss of fluid volume produces a significant drop off in performance, e.g. 2% loss in body weight producing a marked effect on performance. Other studies suggest that drinking "ad libitum" during sporting events tends to produce the best results as athletes aren't over or under hydrated and subsequently, they don't feel uncomfortably bloated or thirsty.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I think what he is asking, just being "thirsty" and drinking a bunch of straight water or sub-optimal sports drinks doesn't really replace salt/electrolytes.
    And just further dilutes them in your body . . .
    Correct.

. . . so what should we be doing? Do we just dump a bunch of salt into our water? or just the salt the fuck out of everything we eat?
    The ideal rehydration drink would have adequate volume of fluid and be isotonic. This would require a salty drink with carbs, some BCAAs (or whey), and a hefty dose of salt. You'd probably have to fine tune it based on palate, fluid losses, and context, but here's what I've been having people do:

5g BCAAs, 10-15g carbs (vitargo or orange juice), and 500mg added sodium (~1.25g salt) mixed in 1L of water, sipped in ~333cc amounts every 20 min.

"One should only worry about sodium intake if they have a high blood pressure variant owing itself to sodium sensitivity."

Can you elaborate? Is there any way to tell if you have such a variant?

I'm currently taking Amlodipine Besylate and Doxazosin Meslylate for High Blood Pressure, and my doctor has promised more meds if the BP isn't down next time I see him. I rarely add salt to my food and have been even more careful to keep the salt low because of the BP issues. I already had a problematic reaction to a diuretic (made my fuzzy-headed, for lack of a better description. Couldn't think) so I'd like to avoid dumping anything else in if I can help it. Of course taking diuretics and working up a sweat may not be the best combination.....

I was thinking along these lines: http://digitalcommons.fiu.edu/cgi/vi...&context=sferc

Is there any evidence that your normal thirst response in inadequate for this purpose? How about you just drink water until you're no longer thirsty? Or do you just have the psychological need to complicate the uncomplicated?
    I should have stated the question better. I meant how does one balance sodium and water?

I only drink when I'm thirsty & my pee is often yellow. Does that mean I need more sodium during the day?

I read that the body needs around 500 mg of sodium per liter of sweat lost. Firstly I don't know if this is even true & also it's worthless because how in the world can someone tell how much sweat they've lost.

How do you make sure not to dilute your sodium levels?

I know being dehydrated will make you feel weak in the gym but what about low sodium? Do hydration and sodium have to be in sync?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post
    I only drink when I'm thirsty & my pee is often yellow. Does that mean I need more sodium during the day?
    Why that? While you're thirsty, you're already a bit "too late". And the older you are, the less you'll feel thirsty. You can't rely on your feelings in this case, and as a fact - a yellow urine.

So, if you get thirsty, you're about to die?

So, if you get thirsty, you're about to die?
    Eventually, yes. If you still get no water. But, sooner or later we're all about to die, do we???

So, will you get water?? Do you have access to water?? Do you have enough sense to drink water when you need to drink water?

So, will you get water?? Do you have access to water?? Do you have enough sense to drink water when you need to drink water?
    Me? I know that I need to drink enough water to feel good, and to have my urine no more than pale yellow, almost colourless. In my almost African climate its better to drink a few glasses of water more than you want(=feeling thirsty and with a headache). But in the gym I generally consume maybe 150mg, because I'm already pretty hydrated, while arriving.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    The ideal rehydration drink would have adequate volume of fluid and be isotonic. This would require a salty drink with carbs, some BCAAs (or whey), and a hefty dose of salt. You'd probably have to fine tune it based on palate, fluid losses, and context, but here's what I've been having people do:

5g BCAAs, 10-15g carbs (vitargo or orange juice), and 500mg added sodium (~1.25g salt) mixed in 1L of water, sipped in ~333cc amounts every 20 min.
    I lift in the basement home gym. You can imagine how it is - humid as hell, little natural air movement. I kinda-sorta fix the air movement with three pedestal fans, with one drawing in outside air and two aimed at different spots on the platform.

I just did a "medium" day session on HLM. I followed the recommendation by scaling the "dosage" proportionally to the half-gallon jug I use, and drank almost the full thing in an hour and forty-eight minute session with sips between all working sets (and some of the heavier warm ups).

I noticed about halfway through the squat portion I felt a lot less drained out; Usually I'll get halfway though the entirety of a session and my thinking goes to shit. I did notice I wasn't sweating buckets either, but was (for lack of a better phrasing) appropriately sweating. Even post-session I don't feel anywhere near as beat up as usual despite the volume.

I'm going to test next time on density day and see how it runs, but I'm giving it a qualified "go for it".

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast