starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where the H can I buy the book?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Why not just buy the e-book then? Then you can ctrl-f stuff which I wish paperback had (somehow).

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    Why not just buy the e-book then? Then you can ctrl-f stuff which I wish paperback had (somehow).
    If you're really good at reading, you can zone in on paragraphs you think matter by way of skimming the text. So if you need to know how to stop knee cave in the squat, you'd go to the squat chapter and then the section on technique instruction or common errors (been a while since I opened the book). Then you read the first 1 or 2 sentences of every paragraph to quickly find out if it's relevant to your specific problem. This works well on texts you've read before, provided they're well written. Luckily, the books are well written, so this technique works pretty well if you're a good reader.

Wouldn't recommend you do it on texts you haven't read before, but it can work on texts you haven't read that are really similar to texts you have. For instance, if a certain strength coach authors a certain text on a certain topic he's written about before, you can skip ahead by identifying information you've read in other texts, thus skipping old information until you reach new information. In this way, I can say I've read every article on topic X by author Y and not spend days on end reading dozens of articles simply by not re-reading parts of texts I've read earlier.

This is also a good way to determine whether or not a text is worthwhile reading. Say you're interested in a specific event related to some shooting or accident. You're bound to find countless hits on Google that are virtually the same article. Regardless of the sameness of these articles, you want to find out specific information like a motivation or names of victims or what have you. You don't want to read every article in full just to find out the information isn't present. So what you can do to try and prevent wasting your time is to scan for traits relating to this specific information with your eyes. Names of victims, for example, are capitalised, so scanning for any capitalised letters (especially mid sentence) is a good way to zone in on this type of information. Numbers stand out like sore thumbs, so things like age and dates are easily spotted. It also helps to know the structure of specific kinds of articles like news coverage, but that's something you only get a feel for by reading a bunch of articles.

This applies to Rip's texts and books, too. If you want to know about the hamstring involvement in the squat, you can more easily scan the chapter on the squat if you zone in on segments that discuss anatomy, introduction to the squat, or reasons for doing the squat. The instructional part is probably not going to cover the anatomy because that may break structure too much, especially if you interrupt the instructions with pages and pages about one muscle and then continue instructing the lift. Again, going by memory, but it's just an example to prove a point. So scanning for any discussion of anatomy pre or post instruction is a helpful way of finding sections on the hamstring in the squat. Words like "bone", "segment", "moment arm", "angle", "leverage", "hip (drive)", "trunk" etc are all words to look out for as they are all related to the hamstring, in this case, or evidence of a discussion of anatomy taking place in the paragraphs in which they're located.

It's a bit more work than pressing buttons on your keyboard, but by no means an exercise in futility. Definitely more of a skill to practice than a handy tool anyone can just use on day 1. Even just recently, I scanned Practical Programming for information on failure and managed to save seconds of my reading experience. Seconds, I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabeswole View Post
    Ultimate goal is 1000lb total on big 3.
    Setting that bar pretty high, aren't you?

Getting the book is difficult enough for him. Baby steps Will....baby steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Setting that bar pretty high, aren't you?
    Well, 250# deadlift x 5, assuming bench and squat are the same, he could have 1000# total in a month. Probably not the case, but still not ridiculous for an "ultimate goal". Get swole, bro! And enjoy the mind gainz from your internet-procured paper.

When it comes to texts that have accompanying photos to describe the text (when a text says "See Fig 7," for example), paper is superior to e-books. You don't have to flip back and forth as often. Also, the "ctrl+f" option in the paperback version is the index.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    When it comes to texts that have accompanying photos to describe the text (when a text says "See Fig 7," for example), paper is superior to e-books. You don't have to flip back and forth as often. Also, the "ctrl+f" option in the paperback version is the index.
    I have both. I prefer the paperback, but any time I've got my phone on me (which is most of the time), I can look something up or show someone something from the book. It's worth it, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    If you didn't say it I was gonna... have we forgotten that nifty little thing in the back that will tell you what page the topic you want is on?

I believe it's called the Index.

starting strength coach development program
    Our index is quite thorough, and is by far the best index in any book in the genre, since the majority of them don't actually have one. It's a major part of every textbook we prepare.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast