starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video: How To Pick Stuff Up

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    @Wal
    As a tradesman myself, I am used to moving stuff like ladders and big planks around and on+off a pickup rack. I've found that like what Rip says in the video, as long as you don't twist your back while loaded and as long as you have a good valsalva going its not a big deal if your spine is in extension or flexion.

@Melsom
    I think based on what I saw in the video, Jefferson curls are probably a good idea? I've heard about them used by gymnasts, yogis (unweighted) and old time strongmen. Good for getting used to curved back lifting, which in itself is probably not a bad thing to be doing occasionally.

Overall I think the main idea seems to be: Spine curve okay. Spine twist not okay.
    Correct me if I am wrong but that has seemed to work well for me in my career as a carpenter.
    In fact the only reason my back ever hurts since I started deadlifting two years ago is when I spend too much time sitting at the fucking computer.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    When the machines turn on us, it will be because of assholes like this guy, fuckin with the worker robots.
    Does Mark use the ice hockey stick in his training programs?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Lee View Post
    @Wal

As a tradesman myself, I am used to moving stuff like ladders and big planks around and on+off a pickup rack. I've found that like what Rip says in the video, as long as you don't twist your back while loaded and as long as you have a good valsalva going its not a big deal if your spine is in extension or flexion.
    When I used to climb power poles I had carry a rather large extension ladder over uneven ground vertically then foot it at the base then put it up against the pole. When it was in the wind it took a lot of strength to keep it upright so there was a lot of strain on your back.

On occasions I would lift the ladder off the ladder rack carry it horizontally say over to a fence line (most rural poles were in a farmers fields) and squat lift it over the fence and drop it on the other side. Some linesmen if they were on there own would use their back like a crane and bend over the fence and drop it, hence later on back problems would arise.

We had in those days ergonomic experts showing us how to lift awkward loads, watched all sorts of safety videos, but none of them mentioned anything about strength training. Being as strong as you can get will protect you to a certain level even if the lift is wrong, this would have probably saved a few injuries.

The worst back strain that I suffered was when halfway up the pole and leaning back into the safety harness trying open or close links at the top of the pole with a hot stick which were always out on the the cross arm. The good old days before the introduction of bucket trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, I haven't. And the start of what?
    Huh. I feel like if I showed a picture you would recognize it, but not really important.

And I meant the start of the video, where you were asking if the camera was on. You appeared... humored.

starting strength coach development program
    Very well-done video. As an orthopedic surgeon who performs total knees, I have actually learned something from Starting Strength that helps me in my practice, namely, in order to stand up from a chair or toilet, the knee must bend to about 120 degrees in order toplace the feet beneath the center of mass. In knee replacement, getting the most flexion possible is our goal, and now I realize that this is why (not just so you can get into a car). Let me also say that it is refreshing to hear such clear and anatomically accurate instruction on weight training.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12