starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Rarely Strength is the limiting factor in the snatch."

Default "Rarely Strength is the limiting factor in the snatch."

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I stumbled across a post from a weightlifting coach on Instagram that I found very confusing. He proposed that most often the limiting factor in a trainees progress with the snatch is technique, and your snatch is "very rarely limited by strength".

When did Weightlifting coaches decide strength wasn't very important in a strength sport like weightlifting? What caused them to believe that technique conquers all? When did this shift in coaching principles for US weightlifting begin?

Seems to have occurred about 25 years ago. I started hearing it in USAW clinics in the 90s. Strength is force production, in this case against the bar. Force causes acceleration. Acceleration produces momentum. Momentum is necessary after the point in the pull where the force stops being applied between the floor and the bar -- its continued upward motion gives the lifter time to get under the bar and rack it after the pull stops. So this individual is saying that either 1.) acceleration is not necessary in a snatch, or 2.) very rarely is an Olympic lifter not already strong enough to accelerate the bar enough to snatch enough weight to win the meet. I suppose this means that the US team has had insufficiently good technique to place above 30th in the Worlds during that time, and that everybody that has beaten us has much better technique, during a period of time in which the main emphasis in the US has been technique.

This is probably a mistake.

They should probably eliminate weight classes and the separate competitions for men and women. Oh, and the ban on anabolic steroids. Since strength isn't the limiting factor, I can't imagine why any of those would matter.

Max Aita, the coach you are referring to, may have some unique insight into this as a man whose squat was in excess of 300kgs and lifetime best snatch was probably around 150kgs.

Because shut up, Rashid explained.

Mark, what do you think was the limiting factor in you snatching the weights you did?

I'm going to guess that Max is comparing squat strength to the snatch. Probably a mistake. A lot of factors are involved.

I will give him that strength is rarely the limiting factor if the lifter is a raw beginner. They likely have not learned the technique well enough to be able to display their strength. However, for anyone halfway proficient in the skill of snatching, no.

My son's best squat was 275kg, I believe. At 300kgs, Max would seem to be stronger. My son's best snatch was 170kg. With a 150kg snatch, Max, though the stronger squatter, is a bit behind Jeff. He probably feels that the reason he cannot snatch 160kg is due to a technique deficit. That my be true, maybe there is a technique issue that if changed would improve his snatch. However, if his squat was 320, I bet he would snatch that 160. As an advanced lifter, there is likely not much he can do to improve his technique.

On the other hand, the only reason Jeff does not snatch 180kg is because he is not strong enough to do so. I believe that most lifters fall into this category, at least if they have been at it for a while and have mastered the technique.

Quote Originally Posted by rashid29 View Post
    Mark, what do you think was the limiting factor in you snatching the weights you did?
    Strength, and the ability to display it as power. Same for everybody.

Honestly, after watching Rip's video coaching the snatch I managed to send 95lbs in the air no problem for doubles, never having snatched before, worked up to on the first try. Granted the weight is miniscule, but it seems the squat requires more thought for every rep than the snatch.

But given how simple the movement seems to be to a novice like myself, it is hard for me to imagine that guys would actually work up to some sort of "limit" on snatching wrong for months and not just put the lift on the shelf.

Is it a possibility that the "technique" this man is referring to is the feeling of having an increased capacity to display power? Because that may have a different 'feel' to strength that one might call 'technique.'

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Strength, and the ability to display it as power. Same for everybody.
    Mark, I remember reading that your best snatch was about 185-225. Is this correct?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast