starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: "Rarely Strength is the limiting factor in the snatch."

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Of course, drug overdoses aren't going to be effective for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    Near death experience, then.
    Not necessarily. A 'linear progression' of trauma resulting in the acquisition of common Sense over time may be enough for many. The insufferable entitlement tends to assuage to more human levels in short order. Despite the desire to see them converted by a near death experience, it is not always necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by cfreetenor View Post
    Not necessarily. A 'linear progression' of trauma resulting in the acquisition of common Sense over time may be enough for many. The insufferable entitlement tends to assuage to more human levels in short order. Despite the desire to see them converted by a near death experience, it is not always necessary.
    Nah, cos people who think they're entitled to "feel good" will interpret trauma as some form of injustice. That's why "trauma" is wasted on on these kinds of people, just like education and everyone's attention. They'll just say "oh, fuck my life" and continue whining about how "everything bad always happens to them" while people are literally dying in their own neighbourhoods from inherited diseases, which may just be the very definition of being shit out of luck. This is exactly how the idea of systematic oppression came about; people were experiencing hardship and, instead of blaming no-one but themselves as the only productive way forward, they came up with a conspiracy theory about how the entire world is out to get them and they're the poor underdog that could spread its beautiful, rainbow-coloured wings if only the bullies weren't keeping them down.

Hardship, like strength, isn't for everyone. Neither are snatches, by the way, the original topic of this thread (lol oops).

I imagine that Rip doesn't like responding to people 'round here for the same reason I refuse to accept newly hired millennial college kids at work. Needlessly obstinate, over-educated-under-experienced assholes who can't find their ass with both hands. Seriously... how can you program in seven different languages, but you can't fucking fill out a time sheet correctly or in a timely fashion?

Pay site, but keep the articles free. Please. Pretty please.

I think that "Rarely Strength is the limiting factor in the snatch" does not mean that you don't need to be strong to snatch. But before you get strong (or, rather, while you are getting strong) you also need to learn technique of this movement. Senior athletes will probably benefit much more from strength development as their technique is already established (it's not necessarily perfect though). Younger athletes , or those who only starts weightlifting and are already strong, will not benefit much from further strength development before they learn proper technique. Many on this forum can deadlift 200 kg. How many of them can snatch at least 100 kg? pretty sure not even half. How many of them can pull 100 kg bar to the height sufficient for snatching? Most of them, if not all. This is where you need your strength. The rest is technique. You don't need to be strong to get under the bar. You only need to be strong to pull it high enough. But that's only half of the movement if not less.
    Here is the video where a guy who just squatted 200 kg for 15 reps, cannot clean 100 kg. Yes, he is strong as fuck, but has no technique. Will he clean it after he squats 300 kg? I doubt sop. He will clean it (and much more) after he figures out the technique.
    And even the strongest weightlifters do not show best results in weightlifting. Mart Seim squats 400 kg, but he cannot snatch 200 kg and clean and jerk 250 kg. Compare to Lovchev who only held 400 kg for walkouts may be, while he snatched 211 and clean and jerked 264 kg.
    So of course you need to be strong to do weightlifting, but strength by itself is insufficient.
    So all that coach was trying to say is that those trainees he was talking about are plenty strong for what he wanted them to snatch. The technique was their limiting factor though.

This is fascinating. Thanks, Pavel!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is fascinating. Thanks, Pavel!
    Hahaha. You crack me up, Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by rashid29 View Post
    Perhaps you could enlighten us. Thanks for your time, Mark.

Personally, I think this site is worth at least $20 a month. But $10 seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    The discussions on the millenial generation always inevitably end up being profoundly shallow.
    Very much so. I tend to avoid any discussion/internet yelling contest on generations because I swear to christ sometimes it seems like I am the only person in the world who realizes that literally every single generation of humans to ever exist have bitched about the generation preceding them, and engaged in fist shaking "oooh kids these days..." rants about the generation following them. There is nothing new under the sun.

Every generation thinks that the one that came before them were stodgy luddites who had it all wrong, and the one following them are all spoiled brats who have it so easy these days "unlike in my day when we skied to school year round and only had bark bread for breakfast and half the family died of smallpox, even me" - until the time when they themselves get old, at which point they start to idolize the previous generation to some degree.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatamon View Post
    Very much so. I tend to avoid any discussion/internet yelling contest on generations because I swear to christ sometimes it seems like I am the only person in the world who realizes that literally every single generation of humans to ever exist have bitched about the generation preceding them, and engaged in fist shaking "oooh kids these days..." rants about the generation following them. There is nothing new under the sun.

Every generation thinks that the one that came before them were stodgy luddites who had it all wrong, and the one following them are all spoiled brats who have it so easy these days "unlike in my day when we skied to school year round and only had bark bread for breakfast and half the family died of smallpox, even me" - until the time when they themselves get old, at which point they start to idolize the previous generation to some degree.
    The Four Yorkshiremen Sketch - YouTube

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast