Thread: Training Log: Deadlift Grip Adjustments

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by karthik View Post
    Cheers Chris.
    I'm glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is, you know, explained in the book.
    What I find interesting is how Bob Peoples pulled so heavy with a double pronated Monkey Grip given how "the back will not pull off the floor what the hands cannot hold due to proprioceptive feedback that tells the back that the weight is too heavy." (Though, what I'm reading here says he also pulled with a rounded back and blew the air out of his lungs prior to pulling.)

I say this because when I start a deadlift set (say last set of a SLDL 3x5) with double overhand, I may have to switch to hook for the last couple reps. Before I feel the need to switch, the weight has already sagged down into a Monkey Grip, and I can feel my back start to panic/round a bit, guessing because of the aforementioned propriceptive feedback. When the hook is implemented, my back position is immediately back to where it should be. I guess Bob was so secure in that Monkey Grip that his hands didn't signal a distress call to the back (?). I still have my doubts; i.e. it makes it seem like the grip has to be the limiting factor (vs. back, legs, etc) when using a double pronated Monkey Grip. That being said, far be it from me to suggest Bob could have theoretically pulled more with a different grip (or a good set back with full lungs). Just being able to double pronate Monkey Grip 700+ lbs is pretty badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    Did I really just tell people on this board to chalk their hands on a deadlift? Oh dear.
    I assure you that some of the people worrying about this were not using chalk.

Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    Rip, I always felt my hands are on the smaller side but I don't really have a frame of reference to go by. Even with the hook grip I have trouble holding on to the bar for all 5 reps once I start approaching 300. What would be considered a "small hand"? My hand is 4 1/2" measured from the wrist crease to the proximal digital crease, and 7 1/2" to the tip of my 3rd digit.
    We have the same size hands. Yours may be thicker than mine across the palms.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lippke View Post
    What I find interesting is how Bob Peoples pulled so heavy with a double pronated Monkey Grip given how "the back will not pull off the floor what the hands cannot hold due to proprioceptive feedback that tells the back that the weight is too heavy." (Though, what I'm reading here says he also pulled with a rounded back and blew the air out of his lungs prior to pulling.)
    I see him using both double-prone and alternate grips. I didn't know about the double-prone.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I assure you that some of the people worrying about this were not using chalk.

We have the same size hands. Yours may be thicker than mine across the palms.

I see him using both double-prone and alternate grips. I didn't know about the double-prone.
    Got it. So unless I deadlift what you did back in your heyday, I am a pussy.

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123