starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training Log: Deadlift Grip Adjustments

Default Training Log: Deadlift Grip Adjustments

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Question about the hook grip: I used to place the bar between the distal palmar crease and (much closer to) the palmar digital crease, as recommended for pulls, and then place the thumb under the bar and wrap the index/middle around it. Doing so meant the bar was in contact with only the inner side of the thumb, and my other fingers just about covered my thumb nail and nothing else. Like this:

At around 360#, the bar began to slip out of my hands. To increase both the thumb/bar and fingers/thumb contact areas, I had to move the bar a bit towards the proximal palmar crease. The bar is now in contact with the entire inner face of my thumb my fingers with the entire outer (nail side) face and side. My grip is very secure again but I'm slowly developing a callus problem at the digital crease. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, is it common to develop raised calluses at the interphalangeal creases with any correct pulling grip?

You're worried about calluses?

The raised kind that can tear, yes. The kind you get from using the 'pushing grip' on a pulling movement.

The general hardening of the skin is not an issue.

Couldn't you just use a palm sander? In addition to having a callus remover, you'd also have a palm sander.

No. This is not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by karthik View Post
    The raised kind that can tear, yes. The kind you get from using the 'pushing grip' on a pulling movement.
    The general hardening of the skin is not an issue.
    Rip, some people aren't Texans and need to keep their hands baby-smooth for our Subarus' steering wheels. Plus nice soft hand skin should provide better friction on the knurling like a drag race car vs. an endurance car's, yeah? But, I also tuck my stretchy jeans into my cowboy boots as my boot/deadlift socks always fall down, so think about what kind of man does that before you consider the following.

I recently had this kind of issue as well and have modified my hook grip somewhat to produce the desired result of minimizing calluses. I go deep into the thumb web (to where I feel an even pinch between the metacarpal bones) first thing and hook that thumb (I've been taping around the proximal phalange to prevent another callus there). I then do a slight ulnar flexion while squeezing the index and middle finger tips onto the thumb, wrapping and clenching tight and hard. Radial flex back to neutral to set the ring and pinky fingers, BUT as you do this, slide that flab, located above the distal palmar crease, along the bar so that the bar will sit in the palmar digital crease of the ring and pinky fingers. The flab will be jammed in so tight under the index and middle finger (not sitting in the palmar digital crease) that the bar shouldn't shift enough of it to pinch it into a callus. = Softer hands than Ed Thigpen.

Thanks Mark, I'll do just that.

I assume that the placement of the bar on the palm when taking a hook grip should be the same as that for double overhand: at the palmar digital crease near the base of the fingers. Is there any reason why a lifter might need to (or prefer to) place the bar further up towards the middle of the palm to produce a secure hook grip? (Certain digit and palm size proportions, etc)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No. This is not allowed.
    Please, Uncle Rip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast