starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 40 Yard Dash vs SVJ

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There was a similar argument regarding, IIRC, Vince Coleman when it came to base stealing, that he wasn't really that FAST, but he got up to full speed in two or three steps so he was halfway to second before the catcher realized he was running and didn't have the ball yet.

There is no reason why a RB with a 32" vertical can't run a 4.65 the way I see it. If they want recognition as 1st or 2nd round material then they probably need to be sub 4.6. In my opinion,a lot of well talented elite athletes (especially Division 1 FBS contenders) are more worried about partying rather than shaving some time off of their 40, or getting their bench reps up. I guess if you want to justify this as something else other than lazy, be my guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Help me understand what this one guy proves, Basic.
    That he doesn't seem lazy. He might be bad at running. As are the others.

To go with "they are lazy" as your number #1 reason a NFL Combine prospect with a good SVJ and a mediocre 40 time seems lame.

My theory, I bet if you took everybody and made them perform a no-counter-movement jump . . .

. . . you'd find the slow40-highSVJ group would have poorer NOCMSVJs than the fast40-highSVJ people.

HE may not be lazy. Lots of natural athletes are, as this thread started off. I don't care about THIS ONE GUY. It has been every coach's experience that gifted natural athletes are quite often the laziest bastards on the team. You are very bad about using single examples of things that have happened to try to prove that these things always happen. You are not a logical person, Basic.

As already stated, good 40 times are highly dependent on technique, much of which occurs coming out of the starting blocks and in the first several steps. This has to be coached or guys will lose a lot of time with inefficient starting technique that is completely unique to the actual test itself. No one, at any position on the field, breaks into a dead sprint from a track stance out of blocks. Even down lineman in a 3-point stance don't have their weight allocated the same way they do in a tested 40. Linebackers, receivers, running backs etc start from 2 point stances and this changes the game quite a bit. The 40 is useful but overrated.

Honestly, "being lazy" is the best way to play sports. If your "turned up" you lose the element of surprise, the other team can measure your cadence, you use up twice as much energy to get about 10% more accomplished, and focus on the objective of the sport deterioates. Many "lazy" athletes being mysteriously referred to probably spend many hours outside of observed practice busting ass and learning skills from thier older brothers that they unleash on thier opponents.

They want to be "lazy" at practice so they can focus on enjoying the game and honing thier technique rather than "alphing the fuck out" when it has no relevant bearing on a contest.

Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    There is no reason why a RB with a 32" vertical can't run a 4.65 the way I see it. If they want recognition as 1st or 2nd round material then they probably need to be sub 4.6. In my opinion,a lot of well talented elite athletes (especially Division 1 FBS contenders) are more worried about partying rather than shaving some time off of their 40, or getting their bench reps up. I guess if you want to justify this as something else other than lazy, be my guest.
    If a guy can practice and get better at the skill of running a 40, how good of a measure is it to determine his football playing capability? There's enough tape on players these days that they should really just scrap the combine anyway. The fact that players are leaving school and skipping bowl games to train for the combine olympics seems silly.

I see your point. And yeah we had some of that (lazy talented guys) when I was in high school football.

In the context of the NFL Combine Athlete I'd say no, to the OP's Lazy Hypothesis.

And how many players in the NFL each year are hired out of the Combine?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And how many players in the NFL each year are hired out of the Combine?
    I'll play along. . . .
    I guess this is the best I can find. Scroll down a bit to the chart.
    Study: Correlation Between Combine Invites And Draft Picks - Steelers Depot
    If I'm reading this right, Teams draft between 89% to 65% . . . so around ~72% of the players drafted by teams were in the combine.

I think those were just for tryouts. Not necc "hired".
    You could be drafted and get cut of course.
    Or walk on and get "hired".
    Or go to combine, not get "drafted" in the draft, and then walk on.
    Its not perfect

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast