starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 40 Yard Dash vs SVJ

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    If I were an NFL scout, I would view and note this as possibly a form of laziness/ lack of effort. If I saw that a player had a 30"+ SVJ, I would expect at least a decent 40 time.
    And if I were a GM, I'd ask you how your analysis weighed other variables like center of gravity and segment-length proportions. And then I'd probably fire you. For being lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    And if I were a GM, I'd ask you how your analysis weighed other variables like center of gravity and segment-length proportions. And then I'd probably fire you. For being lazy.
    I believe it's pretty reasonable to expect explosive athletes to be fast. But I rest my case on that. I believe all of us here are under the general consensus that strength carries over to the field( granted if the athlete is already good at his sport). So, how many NFL LBs/RBs are squatting 600 legitimately? Hell, Rip worked up to a 600 squat with the genetics of a donkey. I remember back when I used to glance at Muscle & Fiction magazines they would occasionally feature NFL workouts. I can't recall all of the players, but one coach was bragging about working his trainee up to the whopping 100lb. Dumbells. WoW! There was another player who bragged about working up to a 435 single for the squat. Man! 4 Wheels!!! I do remember one player, Tiki Barber, who performed a 1RM DL @ 545. DAMN! My skinny 6'1 sub 200lb ass was already in the 500 club at the time. Isn't it logical to assume that some( if not most) players could benefit from a serious strength program. And shouldn't their working weights be heavier than the average gym rat?

starting strength coach development program
    Manti Te'o ran a lousy 4.82 at the combine. LB 241 33". The commentators even pointed out that having a strong vertical they anticipated a way better time. He improved it significantly within a pretty short time frame. He hit 4.71 at Pro Day. According to Todd Mcshay this boosted his draft stock back up. He ended up going in round 2, but I'm willing to bet that if he would've ran 4.60 initially, he would've been picked higher, probably 1st round.
    THIS article says 4.82 to 4.75 . . 0.07 . . . hell, that could be from anything?

the article: "NFL Network's Mike Mayock, who was live on the scene at Teo's pro day, reported that the linebacker ran an unofficial 4.75-second 40. That's a little faster than his 4.82 at last month's NFL Scouting Combine"

From another article :
    It's worth noting that Vaugh McClure of the Chicago Tribune reported, "an official timer was not in attendance," on Tuesday. Hand times are typically a bit faster than the electronic "official" times at the combine, and Te'o's time on Tuesday didn't change the fact that he's not an explosive athlete.
    This thing was hand timed?
    I don't see any fancy timing instruments HERE.
    . . .what was the difference is elevation/air density? lol
    CNS fried ? . . stress from the laughable fake girlfriend story during the combine?
    Now he's running at his de facto home town/home field at his Pro Day??? more "comfy".
    come on!

He strikes me as being what I consider to be the longer torso short leg type . . .
    . . . which, from what I'm used to seeing, seems normal for the polynesian bros.
    (we had a large population of Hawaiians/Tongans at my high school) /stereotypes
    If so, I bet his 10 yd split was good.

One more example for making my point, then I'm out of this mess. Michael Sam DE 6'2 261 25.5 4.91 It's quite possible( considering that he predominantly possesses slow twitch muscle fibers) that he worked pretty hard to get that time. But as I stated in my initial post to Rip, the data shows that there are many athletes among this same BW, position, etc. who have explosive potential, but are running the same times. If I were an NFL scout, I would view and note this as possibly a form of laziness/ lack of effort. If I saw that a player had a 30"+ SVJ, I would expect at least a decent 40 time.
    On TV he ran a 4.79 his first attempt, and a 4.84, and then I guess the reported 4.91.
    I guess they go with the worst.
    Michael Sam 40 Yard Dash NFL Combine 2014 - YouTube
    I thought they only did two attempts.
    There is no reaction time, the timer starts when the player goes.
    They just give them a ready signal.

Fucking data points are all over the place. Sure, he got tired.
    Some players only lose a few hundredths . . . others actually get faster on the 2nd attempt.

This guy went from 4.57 to 4.50 between 1st and 2nd : Tavon Austin & Marquise Goodwin - 2013 NFL Combine REAL VIDEO - YouTube
    Maybe he got unlazy all of the sudden.

I'm betting the big guys regress with more attempts, can't recover as well as the smaller ones.

JEsus, this unbelievable. The data is shit, to be making guess at a guy's ability a tenth here or a tenth there:
    Considering the amount of monet the NFL has, and whats on the line.
    When evaluating and comparing player speed based on 40 yard dash times, it is important to keep in mind that the 40 yard dash time recorded at scouting combine and pro day events is not truly “official” as in completely correct. Timing methods vary, but most involve at least one manual process performed by a human and thus prone to error. In addition to being slightly inaccurate because of human involvement, there is not an established standard on how 40 yard dash times at the NFL Combine are reported.

A popular belief held by many casual NFL fans is that players at the NFL Combine run the forty yard dash once, it is timed electronically, and since it was timed electronically then that 40 time can be regarded as official. All of these are misconceptions. The facts below describe in detail how the process of recording a 40 yard dash at the NFL Combine really works:

Each participant is given 2 attempts at the 40 yard dash and is timed with 3 different stopwatches on each run, however only one of those stopwatches is “electronic.”
    The electronic timing is not fully electronic. The stopwatch is started by a human, and it is important to understand that it is started by human hands on the first movement of the 40 yard dash participant. That means that there is always room for human error, though less than if it were fully hand-timed.
    Since each player runs the 40 twice, there would be no single “official” time even if only the electronic times are used.
    You may notice that different sources of NFL Scouting Combine data report slightly different 40 yard dash times. For example, the NFL.com website combine data reports different 40 times than NFL Combine Results, which are both different from other sources providing 40 yard dash times. This discrepancy is because of the differences in how 40 yard dash times are reported.

The fact that each participant has 6 “officially” recorded 40 times (4 manual, 2 electronic) explains why reports of 40 times vary depending on which scouts you ask. Some scouts may use an average of all 6 times and report that. Other scouts may use an average of only the 2 electronic times, throw out the fastest and slowest time and average the remaining 4, or use a more complex method of coming to a single number. The point is that most scouts use different methods of arriving at a single 40 time, and that is responsible for the discrepancy amongst “official” 40 yard dash times.

As a result of all of these factors, it is very difficult to establish a consensus “official” 40 yard dash time for a particular player or for the sake of NFL Combine all-time records. NFL Combine Results believes that the most important thing for the sake of accurate comparison is to consistently use the same method of determining a single 40 time, and it is also our opinion that the best method of reaching a single 40 yard dash time is to take the average of the two electronic times as they are the most likely to be the most accurate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234