starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 Yard Dash vs SVJ

Default 40 Yard Dash vs SVJ

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I had nothing better to do on a Saturday night but to look up data from the NFL combines. One thing that I noted was the relationship between some of the participants 40 times and there SVJ. I was under the assumption that there would be a direct correlation between the two, whereas a 36" vertical would yield a great 40 yard dash time. But this wasn't always the case. Some players had exceptional SVJs but lousy 40 times and vice versa. I remember you saying that you had an outstanding athlete who had like a 36" vertical plus a 4.2 40 time. But, I noticed that this wasn't a trend among all athletes. So, we know that ones SVJ can only be improved marginally, but does the same not relate to relatively small bursts of speed. Is the 40 yard dash not a true measure of explosive power. It seems as if the NFL puts more emphasis over the 40 time anyway. Clowney ran a 4.53 at 266 and that's mainly all we heard about in the headlines, not so much of his 37.5" SJV. So, from what I gather, one can improve their 40 time to a much greater degree, and athletes who have explosive potential but run shitty times in the 40 is just an example of genetically gifted athletes becoming lazy. Thoughts on this Rip?

The 40 time will depend more on technique -- sprint mechanics, start position efficiency, etc -- and bodyweight than the SVJ. The reason the SVJ is used is because it isn't affected by much of anything except genetics at a normal athletic body composition. You probably hear more about 40 times because the sports media people who report such things lack the ability to understand what the SVJ measures, and probably think that people can relate better to a sprint time. Maybe they can.

Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    So, from what I gather, one can improve their 40 time to a much greater degree, and athletes who have explosive potential but run shitty times in the 40 is just an example of genetically gifted athletes becoming lazy.
    This seems like another shitty thing to say.

It's totally wrong of course, but even still...
    ...."lazy"? Geesh!

I think it's more accurate than shitty. You don't know any gifted natural athletes that won't train hard enough to reach their potential?

I'll comb thru the data later when I have time.
    But I'm guessing, like you said, it's more BW dependant.
    ...and what is thought to be important by the powers that be of that certain players position.

A 320# Offensive Lineman with a 32" vertical would be better off turning in a good 20 yard shuttle drill then risk blowing up a knee or pulling a hammie training to shave tenths off of his 40 time. They need agility and quickness in a small area...top end speed is almost meaningless.
    (It would be nice to have the 10 yard splits published though).

Funny the OP would use Clowney. Guy is wildly regarded as the biggest genetic freak at DL the combine has ever seen. Gonna compare others SVJ:40 ratio to this guy?

Funny too, Clowney is/was seen as "lazy" or having a meh work ethic (by his own coach).
    Down-to-down effort lacks consistency. Lacks discipline on and off the field and has had to be managed closely since he arrived on campus. Needs to learn what it means to be a pro. Plays in spurts and is too much a of flash player -- does not consistently dominate like he could. Is still immature and finding his way -- too much of a follower.

Check it out for yourself MBasic. You'll find that there are plenty of safety's and LBs ( BW in the range of 200-250)that have 30" verticals with 40 times in the 4.7 -4.9 range. Which is pretty shitty.

It was jokingly said of Dick Butkiss that he was the fastest man in the NFL for 10 yards in any direction, and that if you asked him to run a hundred yard dash it would take him most of the afternoon.

I thought of this because the 40 is a short race, yes, but there is also a top speed component. Plus, it's an eternity compared to how quickly you must muster explosion in an SVJ. A guy who could SVJ 37 inches might well be punishingly fast for the first 10 yards of a 40 and pretty "meh" for the last 30. This would give the impression the guy was not that quick when in reality he's just not that fast. In drag racing terms, he's got no "big end". I remember a factoid on Tony Dorsett that he could reach his top speed from a dead stop in 2 steps. This says everything about how quick he was and nothing about how fast he was. It would be interesting to see "sector times" for the Combine 40s. First 10 yards, middle 15-20; final 10-15.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Been View Post
    A guy who could SVJ 37 inches might well be punishingly fast for the first 10 yards of a 40 and pretty "meh" for the last 30. This would give the impression the guy was not that quick when in reality he's just not that fast.
    Interesting perspective I hadn't considered.

Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    Check it out for yourself MBasic. You'll find that there are plenty of safety's and LBs ( BW in the range of 200-250)that have 30" verticals with 40 times in the 4.7 -4.9 range. Which is pretty shitty.
    I'm not doubting these guys exist, but to its because they are "lazy" or . . .don't want to spend time improving something that could be improved is BS.

I selected 40 yd dash; full results (all days); all posistions.

Then I selected the inverse listing for 40 yd dash (slowest first).

I then noticed all the OL clogging up the data, so I de-selected those out.

Then I scrolled down, noticed the 1st running back on the list. SAM ROGERS.
    At a 4.93 40yd . . .clicked on him . . .look a 32" SVJ ! . . . here's one.

Then I read his bio:

"All you need to know about Rogers is that in his junior year of high school, he dislocated his elbow. Instead of sitting on the sideline for the rest of the season, he moved to linebacker and tight end for the rest of the year. He was a walk-on for Tech in 2013, but he ended up playing in every game and starting two (5-9 rush, 12-78 receiving). Rogers again played in every game, starting six and contributing on offense (32-140 rushing; 20-230, one TD receiving) and special teams (11 tackles). His offensive contributions increased in 2015 (61-260, two TDs rushing; 16-193, two TDs receiving), and rose again in his senior year (67-284, two TDs rushing; 24-301, four TDs receiving) as the Hokies grew to rely on his playmaking skills."
    Lazy piece of shit all-talent mother fucker.

I then closed the NFL Combine window, and moved on to something else . . .

starting strength coach development program
    Help me understand what this one guy proves, Basic.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast