starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clayton Kershaw is in pain

Default Clayton Kershaw is in pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Rip,

Clayton Kershaw, a major league pitcher with a 215 million dollar contract, left the game after 20 pitches today lower pack pain.

Clayton explained after the game that he's be doing hundreds of hours of rehab for his back and is frustrated.

I imagine you believe that Clayton should stop rehab and start training with barbells and his pain would go away.

If I am familiar with using barbells then surely someone on the Dodgers staff is too.

Do you know why professional teams ignore barbells with so much money at risk?

Thanks,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post
    If I am familiar with using barbells then surely someone on the Dodgers staff is too.
    I know that this assumption seems reasonable, logical, and probable. It is not. Nothing in the development pipeline of a Pro-level S&C coach teaches them about barbell training. We talk about this at every seminar.

Also, his therapy is aggravating his back. A Few Quick Questions About Traction

I could fix this kid in about 3 weeks, but he's getting paid enough to stay in pain, apparently.

My father has a herniated disk, been bothering him for years. Has lost time at work on numerous occasions because of it. Doctors and Physical therapists he has seen have all warned him against heavy lifting of any kind to the point that he is afraid to even look at a barbell. He does all the stretches they tell him to do, and he admits it never does anything. But because they are doctors and I'm not he won't listen to anything I tell him. So I gave up trying some time ago. The fear and misconceptions directed towards barbell training are so pervasive in our society, that I believe it will stay this way for some time. Like Rip has stated, even the "strength" coaches that are supposed to know better are clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post
    ...215 million dollar contract...
    I kind of get the impression that I'm doing something wrong...

Aren't you both jumping to conclusions here? How do you know he doesn't use barbells? What is the extent of the injury? Maybe you know more about the Dodgers' (and Kershaw's) training methods along with their medical records, but to assume he only uses pink dumbbells and bosu balls seems a bit cynical.

Kershaw isn't a powerlifter, but he is the best pitcher in baseball and arguably the best lefty since Koufax (also arguably better than Koufax). He's not a small guy - 6'4, 228#. He's had injury issues over the years and I'm not denying the likely need for S&C coaching improvement in MLB, but not everyone outside the Starting Strength community is ignorant. I only add this because it seems this sentiment is creeping into prevalence and has been called out by a few other posters as well.

I don't know that anyone gets paid enough if the pain is strong enough, but Kershaw has a career salary of $130M and is owed another $105.7M through 2020. We could all suffer a little pain for that cash.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    Aren't you both jumping to conclusions here? How do you know he doesn't use barbells?
    How much does he deadlift? Find out.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    Aren't you both jumping to conclusions here? How do you know he doesn't use barbells? What is the extent of the injury? Maybe you know more about the Dodgers' (and Kershaw's) training methods along with their medical records, but to assume he only uses pink dumbbells and bosu balls seems a bit cynical.

Kershaw isn't a powerlifter, but he is the best pitcher in baseball and arguably the best lefty since Koufax (also arguably better than Koufax). He's not a small guy - 6'4, 228#. He's had injury issues over the years and I'm not denying the likely need for S&C coaching improvement in MLB, but not everyone outside the Starting Strength community is ignorant. I only add this because it seems this sentiment is creeping into prevalence and has been called out by a few other posters as well.

I don't know that anyone gets paid enough if the pain is strong enough, but Kershaw has a career salary of $130M and is owed another $105.7M through 2020. We could all suffer a little pain for that cash.
    You are correct and incorrect at the same time. A lot of the coaches at the higher levels of sport are in fact very smart people, very passionate people, and are well educated in terms of anatomy/physiology, etc. But they are ignorant on the basics of barbell training and their effects. That is kind of what makes it so sad and unfortunate for the athletes they train. Many of these guys would be extremely effective coaches if they were armed with better information on some very basic shit.

Is it their fault? For some yes. Particularly at the high school level there is a baffling degree of close-mindedness, stubborness, and lack of analytical ability to plainly see that what they are doing doesn't actually work.

But in their defense nothing in their undergraduate curriculum, their graduate curriculum, or their litany of certifications has taught them the basics of effective barbell training.

couldn't find anything about kershaw's deadlift . . .
    . . .found this though. I'll listen later, but maybe IF some of the other board members are interested.

There's no reason a starting pitcher can't train year round (maybe even, hard?).
    One of the few posistions that probably could.
    Aren't they on like a 6 or 7 day rotation?

Somebody with the time needs to listen to this shit and give us a report on Kershaw's deadlift.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Somebody with the time needs to listen to this shit and give us a report on Kershaw's deadlift.
    I'm about 15 minutes in, mostly talk about Movement screenings and "Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast