starting strength gym
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Men's Engagement Manager?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    ... its adverse impact upon both the vocational and non-vocational aspects of the university experience in 2017.
    If a reduction in the amount of sexual coercion takes place, it will be because of the actions taken by this MeM.
    If an increase in the amount of sexual coercion takes place, men are more toxic than we thought, and we'll need to hire more MeM's.
    Unwinnable.

Quote Originally Posted by footrat View Post
    One of the problems is that we, as an American society, have convinced each other that a College Education is the gold standard, and it's not. It could be useful, and may be necessary for many professions. But in telling our kids they HAVE to go to college, we've explained that the alternative is having to take up employment in a "lesser" occupation, like a plumber, electrician, mechanic, welder, or some other such blue-collar trade. Without realizing it, we've relegated the skilled trades to second-class status..
    Exactly. The trickle down effect is that immigrants are the first ones to come and snatch up these blue collar jobs that we Americans have disregarded. They know the value in them. Then we Americans get upset that immigrants are taking all the jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Viola View Post
    I have changed jobs twice and had to re-educate myself practically from scratch each time.
    And that's what you do when you make a big enough change in jobs, re-educate yourself.

I've had an unusually varied career from law enforcement, to the railroad police, to security in the defense industry, to managing contract security, and then back to the defense industry. I had a degree in criminal justice, which wasn't terribly applicable to life on the streets. Then the state required police academy. I had to learn railroad operations both on the fly in the rail yards, and then later and in greater depth with a company sponsored week long class. The defense industry required and entirely new set of skills in an emerging set of changes in security technologies and government requirements for protecting stuff like the B2 from people who weren't cleared to see it. I changed jobs twice in that industry and had to learn a new and stiffer set of requirements and still more new security technologies when the widgets I was protecting got even more sensitive. Got laid off and parachuted into the contract security business serving defense companies. Then, I had to learn sound business practices comprehending employment law, scheduling, HR, accounting, finance, and marketing of services. Just to name a few.

Your life changes and you have to come up to speed on what to do better, what to now, and what to do next. Change is a constant.

Quote Originally Posted by aurelius View Post
    Well that is a lil' bit funny. I'm trying to imagine the culture of Princeton as Billy Bob's around closing time. Not seeing it.
    I'm puzzled by your tone here. Clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lippke View Post
    Do they have anything in the Chicago area???
    California. In the refineries. You want to know a little secret? There more $150,000-$200,000 jobs out there than you can believe--not just in petroleum.

But you have to know something and you have to WANT to work.

Think about it. My most valuable employee is the guy who relieves me of headaches which gives me the greatest gift of all--more time. I'm happy to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Princeton is pretty good at teaching engineering though.
    Perhaps...but are they good at teaching someone to work--hard? I've hired (and fired) plenty of "geniuses" who wouldn't work. Almost invariably they had an engineering degree.

By the way, this is [insert name here] under a new username.
    That seems to be happening an awful lot recently, and while it's worst in E&P, it seems to be spreading more and more.

I'm puzzled by your tone here. Clarify?
    My original post was a concurrence with another poster on their experience in engineering. And was off topic.

I am amused by the 'need' for this position at the University. What prompted this? It is difficult for me to imagine that Princeton was the equivalent of some bar at closing time. That an effete ivy league institution has trouble with displays of aggressive masculinity is an oxymoron. Princeton culture likely exhibits the sophomoric behavior typical of people between the ages of 18-22. But this just strikes me as concern trolling from a CYA PC administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    I've been advocating this for a while as an alternative to the law school route for lawyers. Basically give (at least) two options to become eligible to sit for the bar exam: (1) the traditional law school route, or (2) a full-time apprenticeship under a member of the bar in good standing for three years.

If my proposal were ever adopted, I think you'd see significantly decreased tuition rates and debt loads for attorneys, since law schools now have competition, and you'd have far fewer stories of people taking on massive debt loads only to realize that they don't actually want to be a lawyer after all. I think you'd also see a greater law school emphasis on clinical courses (and attendant hiring good clinical professors) that allow students to do actual legal work, rather than the predominantly academic offerings you see now. And I think you'd even see a marginal improvement in the overall quality of attorneys, since a lot of them would now have practical experience as soon as they become licensed bar members.

I'm also aware that my proposal will almost certainly never be adopted in the states that require a law degree from an ABA-accredited law school. Ironically, the closest state to my proposal is California, which allows anyone to sit for the bar even if they don't have a law degree. (This is partly why California's bar passage rate is so low...it's literally open entry.)
    One of my brothers took the bar exam here in CA and passed it without going to law school (on his first try). California has some unusual benefits, and I have a brother who studied like crazy.

But more options for apprenticeship are sorely needed. It also demands that individuals be willing to buck the trend and be different. That's hard for a lot of people as they would rather do what "seems" normal and safe given convention and the current norm of college.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    That seems to be happening an awful lot recently, and while it's worst in E&P, it seems to be spreading more and more.
    Just a reminder: Multiple usernames gets your account shut down.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    One of my brothers took the bar exam here in CA and passed it without going to law school (on his first try). California has some unusual benefits, and I have a brother who studied like crazy.

But more options for apprenticeship are sorely needed. It also demands that individuals be willing to buck the trend and be different. That's hard for a lot of people as they would rather do what "seems" normal and safe given convention and the current norm of college.
    The handicap for this pathway for lawyers is that the "better" schools allow for better networking and better job opportunities after graduation. The status of the school matters for the same reason. This is less important for fields where such things are largely irrelevant, such as medicine. Nobody cares where you went to med school. Yale med offers virtually identical opportunities as your state school.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast