starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ask Rip: Various Things

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I thought the comments about powerlifting were encouraging. Goals and performing on a stage are excellent motivators. The sobering fact that the records don't mean shit (and nobody cares) was also important to hear. Some back of the envelope arithmetic, 5 weight classes, 5 ages, 2 genders, 2 types (raw/not raw), 10 federations, 3 lifts +a total, equals a lot of state, national, and world records....

But I would add, that being judged to a standard, is also a benefit of entering a meet. True a lot of the judging is dubious, but less dubious, than what you hear in the gym. Personally, I think the value in paying the meet fee is in the judging. Im probably in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    But I would add, that being judged to a standard, is also a benefit of entering a meet.
    There's also the fact that you're there a whole day and you're being scheduled around everyone else. You have to perform as best you can and do 9 heavy ass singles on 3 different lifts in about a 6 to 8-hour timespan, which is an achievement in and of itself. In the gym, you can just pick a rack and go at your own pace. This alone warrants the distinction between gym and meet PRs as the environments in which you perform are completely different. This isn't to say that gym PRs don't count; merely that performing at a meet implies a level of additional challenge on top of just squatting, benching/pressing, or deadlifting a weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Nobody should be dancing anyway.
    You just haven't found the right dance belt yet.

It gets harder and harder to hold a tight fifth position as my squat numbers go up. My adductors are just crammed to hell. The firstest of first world problems.

Ballet teachers can be much worse than wrestling coaches. I say, kill them all. Nobody should be dancing anyway.
    A shame that you think that. Studies have shown that dance is perceived as more aesthetically pleasing if performed by a strong person. Thus strength has more applications than many imagine.

You deny the harm that dance teachers do to tens of thousands of girls and young women wrt to body image issues every year? Are you a denialist, or do you just hate women?

You deny the harm that dance teachers do to tens of thousands of girls and young women wrt to body image issues every year? Are you a denialist, or do you just hate women?
    Mark, are you talking about professional dancing practice? Yes, those young creatures are being tortured with diets, harsh discipline, even, maybe, using drugs(I think they even use diuretics, for losing weight), but I see no harm in just dancing for yourself, here and there(but not instead of squatting, absolutely no).

I'm specifically referring to ballet. I know women who have been advised to smoke for weight control.

If people want to two-step or schottische on Saturday night, I suppose I'll allow that.

I'm specifically referring to ballet. I know women who have been advised to smoke for weight control.

If people want to two-step or schottische on Saturday night, I suppose I'll allow that.
    My fiancée was an Irish dancer when she was Younger. She stopped doing competitions when she was in high school because they became more of a weird children's beauty pageant than a dance competition. There was always a pageant element to them when she was little, but the culture became more obsessed with using pounds of makeup and putting wigs on little girls wearing sparkly dresses by the time she quit. A lot of dance can get really fucking weird with the image the culture tries to create. Wether it's widespread eating disorders or turning little girls into models instead of judging the actual dancing they are doing.

O.H. M.Y. H.E.L.L!

My brother read that book and then handed it to me, "Dude, you gotta read this!"

It was crazy. But if even 1/10th of what that SJW whackjob says is true it's disturbing. Definitely recommended reading.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Theban93 View Post
    Despite my protests, I was explicitly barred from football and rugby because I was tiny. I finally got my triple digit bodyweight when I had a growth spurt and went from 4'4 to 5 foot at 13-14. Fear not, I am a gentle giant. But that prompted my PE teachers in school to bully me and my doctor to tell me "I am not saying you have to start losing weight today, but you have to make sure you don't gain any more. Have you tried a ketogenic diet?". I will also never forget a 14 year old skinny, skinny, skinny teary eyed classmate pulling the skin surrounding her abs in the locker room. "If I'm still this fat next month, I am finally going to kill myself".

Kill them with fire, but kill them.
    Wow. My oldest son is 5' tall and 95 lbs at age 7. He's a little pudgy, but I'm hoping he develops a natural interest in strength training. I'm not pushing him, but he's got the frame for being big and strong if he wants to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast