starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fast progression a potential problem?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I find it pretty interesting that you somehow are angry that we assured you that your problems are the result of you doing the exercises incorrectly, and thus are correctable relatively easily, and not due to some sort of previously-unknown physiological problem with your connective tissues. But I mean, to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Do you disagree with the notion that people have different priorities and time schedules and can't always take the time to see a couch 45min away when lifting is admittedly not their #1 or #2 priority in life?
    There's an app for that. https://startingstrengthonlinecoaching.com/

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I have no doubt that there are more dedicated lifters out there that also have more time. I am dedicated enough to lift 3x a week and eat right, but I have alot of real world responsibilities as well. (As I imagine other people do to). Anyways, it's not an excuse and as I said I will most likely be paying them a visit soon. Whats the point of these forums if we should all just go to a SSC couch. Why not take a plane to see a couch? Many people do. Better yet, move so you are within 45 minutes and then you can go every day! What are you not dedicated enough? Thats right, different people have different priorities. I assume coming on here for help is many peoples first step.
    When you write things like this, it will really tend to turn people off.

I'm 34 years old with low T and no athletic history beyond playing baseball until I was 9. I'm a partner at one of the most well-regarded law firms in Ohio, which means that I routinely put in a large number of hours for some really demanding clients. I've been married for over five years and have a 6 month old. I own a home and don't hire anyone to do the yardwork or interior projects, do grocery shopping, or prepare meals. I also do coaching as a side hustle and am involved with several community organizations, as well as the Starting Strength Coaches' Association.

So, yeah, I have a lot of "real world responsibilities." There's a reasonable chance I have more than you. As a result, I rarely lift three times per week, and when I do lift it's usually in the mornings which is not an ideal time--more likely is twice in a week. I rarely eat as well as I'd want to in a week, because when you're in depositions or a hearing, you often don't get lunch breaks, and courts don't allow coolers unless you have a diagnosed medical condition. I rarely sleep as well as I'd want to because I have a shit ton of work to do, and my son is consistently awake at 6:00am.

Despite all of this, I squatted 470 and pulled 500 three weeks ago. To learn how to squat and deadlift properly, I had to rely largely on reading the book, watching the coaching videos (which at that time were not available for free on the internet), videoing myself, form checks, and going to a seminar, because the nearest coach for me was over a 6 hour drive one way. Fortunately we have more of a national presence now than we did then.

I get that weight training is likely not your first priority in life. Welcome to the club--it's probably number 5 or 6 on my list. But you're telling us you can't make a 1.5 hour total round trip drive to have one of the most gifted coaches in the nation teach you more about lifting in two hours than you've learned in the last two years? Really?

Fine, maybe that's true for you. Maybe a grand total of 3.5 hours on a Saturday or Sunday, along with the prices of a quarter tank of gas and coaching, is just too much. But if that's how you feel, you don't get the right to bitch about how you're constantly in pain, because you have the keys to the jail cell and are choosing not to use them. And you certainly don't get to implicitly demean the accomplishments of others while claiming that you're not making bullshit excuses.

I will read the entire article when I get a chance later today. However after skimming it, it looks like towards the end he does agree with me that it might stunt healing but even if it does it would be a small effect.
    This will be a big feather in Sully's cap. I hope he appreciates just how fortunate he is.

Rip,

Since I have your ear right now. I have 1 other question that is related to this topic.

1.5 years or so ago I had a class 2 pec tear from a sport (ortho diagnosed). I rehabbed it by starting off benching really low after 6 weeks and then working my way back up to my old PR's. The main point of pain is in the anterior armpit area around the chest/arm junction. After about 6-8 months, the paint mostly went away as I carefully increased weights. Last week the pain came back out of nowhere on my first set of 5. I feel light pain there while flexing and pretty strong pain when I'm benching. I was able to finish the set but barely and it hurt alot.

What I did: The first benching day after the initial pain I did close grip benching and that hurt alot less but still hurt a little. Then last time I went I went back to regular benching because the pain is now down to a "distracting but not terrible" level.

In your opinion and experience, Should I have just pushed through the pain right away? Or what would you recommend I have done differently (for next time).

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    When you write things like this, it will really tend to turn people off.

I'm 34 years old with low T and no athletic history beyond playing baseball until I was 9. I'm a partner at one of the most well-regarded law firms in Ohio, which means that I routinely put in a large number of hours for some really demanding clients. I've been married for over five years and have a 6 month old. I own a home and don't hire anyone to do the yardwork or interior projects, do grocery shopping, or prepare meals. I also do coaching as a side hustle and am involved with several community organizations, as well as the Starting Strength Coaches' Association.

So, yeah, I have a lot of "real world responsibilities." There's a reasonable chance I have more than you. As a result, I rarely lift three times per week, and when I do lift it's usually in the mornings which is not an ideal time--more likely is twice in a week. I rarely eat as well as I'd want to in a week, because when you're in depositions or a hearing, you often don't get lunch breaks, and courts don't allow coolers unless you have a diagnosed medical condition. I rarely sleep as well as I'd want to because I have a shit ton of work to do, and my son is consistently awake at 6:00am.

Despite all of this, I squatted 470 and pulled 500 three weeks ago. To learn how to squat and deadlift properly, I had to rely largely on reading the book, watching the coaching videos (which at that time were not available for free on the internet), videoing myself, form checks, and going to a seminar, because the nearest coach for me was over a 6 hour drive one way. Fortunately we have more of a national presence now than we did then.

I get that weight training is likely not your first priority in life. Welcome to the club--it's probably number 5 or 6 on my list. But you're telling us you can't make a 1.5 hour total round trip drive to have one of the most gifted coaches in the nation teach you more about lifting in two hours than you've learned in the last two years? Really?

Fine, maybe that's true for you. Maybe a grand total of 3.5 hours on a Saturday or Sunday, along with the prices of a quarter tank of gas and coaching, is just too much. But if that's how you feel, you don't get the right to bitch about how you're constantly in pain, because you have the keys to the jail cell and are choosing not to use them. And you certainly don't get to implicitly demean the accomplishments of others while claiming that you're not making bullshit excuses.
    Congrats on your large numbers. If I saw you at the gym doing those lifts I would be looking and very impressed.

I am busy, but I am less busy than you 100%. I did not say I can't make time, I said it has not been a priority. Big difference. Maybe you interpreted it as bitching about not having time, if it's a pet peeve of yours. But thats not what I said or meant. I also didn't bitch about how far the SSC coach is or that I'm constantly in pain. I just stated my opinions and things I experienced. For that matter, as I mentioned in the original thread, I am not even constantly in pain anymore, so.....

I came on here asking a question to expand my knowledge. Not for advice on how to do something. I have another thread on here where Tom critiques my squat form and I take his advice blindly every single time and don't argue. That's the difference between asking for someones opinion on knowledge and advice. I asked for his advice, I applied it the best I could, asked again, still wrong, applied changes to the best of my ability again, etc...

You guys are all really getting wrapped around the axle about this.

Since I have your ear right now. I have 1 other question that is related to this topic.
    Something seems to be wrong with you. Aside from the large permanent scar in your pec that was the result of your 6-week layoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Something seems to be wrong with you. Aside from the large permanent scar in your pec that was the result of your 6-week layoff.
    So then pertaining to what I should do next time I have this pec pain flare up again, you have no actionable advice that you are willing to give me?

starting strength coach development program
    Rip,

1.5 years or so ago I had a class 2 pec tear from a sport (ortho diagnosed). I rehabbed it by starting off benching really low after 6 weeks and then working my way back up to my old PR's. The main point of pain is in the anterior armpit area around the chest/arm junction. After about 6-8 months, the paint mostly went away as I carefully increased weights. Last week the pain came back out of nowhere on my first set of 5. I feel light pain there while flexing and pretty strong pain when I'm benching. I was able to finish the set but barely and it hurt alot.

What I did: The first benching day after the initial pain I did close grip benching and that hurt alot less but still hurt a little. Then last time I went I went back to regular benching because the pain is now down to a "distracting but not terrible" level.

In your opinion and experience, Should I have just pushed through the pain right away? Or what would you recommend I have done differently (for next time).
    You have scar tissue. And it is the weak link in your chest. Like I have in my groin and my hamstring. Starr protocol will help next time you pull it but the scar tissue will always be in there waiting to fuck you up again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast