starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes in Clothing Size?

Default Changes in Clothing Size?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I am male, 6 feet and about 175 pounds. I have sort of an average build, 41.5 inch chest and 18 inch shoulder measurements. My waist is 40 inches but I figure it will go down when I lose some body-fat. I have a question regarding changes in clothing size after completing a linear progression of the SS program. How much do most men usually change in clothing size after doing the program and losing a good bit of their body-fat after? I ask because I have to buy a few very expensive warm shirts. I'm moving to a very cold climate for a year. I'm worried of buying something too small and not fitting in it a year from now but also don't want to go crazy and get something I'll be swimming in.

Best,

mg1

These are indeed some very serious problems, and I have no good answers for you. You're really asking for trouble here. Submit these questions to the staff at GQ, and do what they tell you. Meanwhile, under the circumstances, do not train.

I went up 2 European clothing sizes (M to XL) after my novice progression. I can still wear my old, skinny-me's T-shirts, but I wouldn't work or work out in them for fear of tearing holes in them. I've had to throw all but 2 pairs of trousers away, though. Half of them were too tight and I ripped the other half. Shirts I had were already Super Grande in size, so they're good carry overs from my old, fat days, though many of these shirts have become very tight fits.

I'd suggest buying at least 100 bucks worth of XL material. That way, you'll have to reach 230lb or you'll look like an idiot in oversized clothes. Wear them to look at yourself in the mirror every day to remind you to go big dick in the gym and at the dinner table. Don't buy trousers just yet; you'll outgrow them cos you're not smart enough to reliably predict your future size, no disrespect. We may not have ripped bodies, but we all have ripped trousers.

Typically the bigger you get the smaller the shirt needs to be. Your gunz should be busting your sleeves. The tighter the better. I've gained 35 pounds in two months 190~225 and my arms turn purple. It's great...

At 6 foot you should be going up to 225lbs at least. Anything less represents a terrible waste of time and training energy. If you aren't filling large-size shirts a year from now you will have failed to realize your strength potential in that time-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    I went up 2 European clothing sizes (M to XL) after my novice progression. I can still wear my old, skinny-me's T-shirts, but I wouldn't work or work out in them for fear of tearing holes in them. I've had to throw all but 2 pairs of trousers away, though. Half of them were too tight and I ripped the other half. Shirts I had were already Super Grande in size, so they're good carry overs from my old, fat days, though many of these shirts have become very tight fits.

I'd suggest buying at least 100 bucks worth of XL material. That way, you'll have to reach 230lb or you'll look like an idiot in oversized clothes. Wear them to look at yourself in the mirror every day to remind you to go big dick in the gym and at the dinner table. Don't buy trousers just yet; you'll outgrow them cos you're not smart enough to reliably predict your future size, no disrespect. We may not have ripped bodies, but we all have ripped trousers.
    This is pretty good advice.

what size clothing do most guys wear that re 6feet when they have reached or are close to reaching their strength potential?

Usually XXL.

I've gone from 172lb to 207lb so far this year (6'1", 30). I was wearing large t-shirts before because mediums barely covered my belly. Now I'm still wearing larges, but they're getting much tighter, which the relatives notice and comment on. Dress shirts is another story. I had a scrawny neck before (14.5" neck for dress shirts) and can't wear a tie because I can't button the top button of my dress shirts anymore. Neck is a less-scrawny 16-16.5" now.

Pants and shorts have been a pain. I was wearing 34x34's before, but once I reached 195-200 I had to change brands because my thighs couldn't fit in my previous jeans anymore. Stretchy jeans from Costco (Urban Star) and Levi's are working well for me now. I even went up to a 38" waist to allow for further gut and thigh growth. I've had to go up a waist size on all my shorts.

Maybe once I reach 230 I'll be forced to move up to XL shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Usually XXL.
    Hope so. Bulking to 110 @6'1-2 once I no longer have to ride my bike to work, school, or the gym. I'm afraid I'll break the bike otherwise.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Razik View Post
    At 6 foot you should be going up to 225lbs at least. Anything less represents a terrible waste of time and training energy. If you aren't filling large-size shirts a year from now you will have failed to realize your strength potential in that time-frame.
    ^this

I figured you'd put on about 50 pounds. Waist will shrink a bit, arms, shoulders, chest and upper back will get bigger. Your quads will grow and you will have to find a different cut of your favorite brand of jeans.

Enjoy the ride! You will have several new wardrobes. All money well spent.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast