starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Article: Should Personal Trainers and Coaches Be Licensed by the State?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Wait! Now I'm even more more confused. It clearly reads, "by Mark Rippetoe" after the article title. So what article did you write on this issue Brodie?

I really shouldn't be reading anything this early in the day when I'm still bleary eyed and sleep deprived, 😏

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Your position would be very persuasive to a libertarian. It would not be persuasive to those who see some role for government licensure and regulation--which is a very large majority of the US population. Part of being persuasive is showing people how their values are furthered or harmed by a particular proposal. This is precisely why I did not write my article on this issue with a libertarian bent--I don't have to convince libertarians to oppose government licensure of personal trainers, because they're already on board before I write my first word...I have to convince a large plurality of everyone else.
    Yes, people have a desire for things to be regulated (which is not a bad thing. People want assurances that they are not being lied to or taken advantage of), and are satisfied to have the government do it, because it just makes sense to them. And that's as far as they take it. The challenge is to get people to examine just a little further so that they see just how bad governments are at this, and also that free markets are not equal to unregulated markets. But you just can't get people to think that far.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by donfrancisco View Post
    Dear Brodie,

I was under the impression that Coach Rip had written the article that started this thread. My bad. My post complimenting him should have been addressed to you.

I see your point about not writing the article in such a way as to only preach to the converted--liberty loving types in this case. It's refreshing to read that you put the effort into reaching an audience other then those that already agree with you. It seems that a lot of the writing I read, especially in politics, is intended for those that share the same bubble as the author.

Congrats again on the article. An important point well made.

Best always,

Francisco

I was referring I wrote a different article a couple years ago. Linked it in one of my earlier posts in this thread.

http://startingstrength.com/contentf...re_butland.pdf

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The funniest part is, this fucking clown says with a straight face.

My name is Mark Rippetoe. That is my identity. Your identity is: Internet Troll, and not even a particularly good one.
    I suspected shonuff was leeroy, but I have to admit the SumDumGoi connection was a bit unexpected, though looking through my own post history and how I reacted to him then, it makes perfect sense. It's also pretty scary that he is so devoted to somehow proving some point with you that he would make so many dupes to just have the same experience over and over. Insane.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456