starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Torso Short Legs (Stay more vertical?)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by cpa View Post
    Was actually contemplating this on a plane yesterday. Everyone else' head, or portion thereof, is resting against the chair back, mine is resting on top of the chair back. 6', 31 inch inseam.
    I'm more interested in the actual width of the new seating on American Airlines A321s. i.e. the actual distance between the armrests. I'm guessing it's now 14 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    You are more than a little short-legged (and we have the same inseam and I'm an inch shorter). Did you ever wonder why airline and auto seats have such nice neck pads, but no head rest?
    Maybe you're long legged. Maybe I am perfect.

I have found that a lower heel or even a flat is helpful for this demographic. You still have to bend over you just have fewer degrees of freedom than someone with the long legs/short torso phenotype.

Going to flats vs a .75inch shoe lets my knees and hips be about 1.5 inches further back (assuming my shin is two feet long, which is pretty close). It doesn't sound like much, but I can feel the difference and am able to get more into my hips. The problem is finding adequate flat weightlifting shoes. Currently I'm using old Do-Wins with the heel taken out by a cobbler.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I have found that a lower heel or even a flat is helpful for this demographic. You still have to bend over you just have fewer degrees of freedom than someone with the long legs/short torso phenotype.
    Thanks for the advice. Could you please explain what you mean by having a few more degrees of freedom?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Going to flats vs a .75inch shoe lets my knees and hips be about 1.5 inches further back (assuming my shin is two feet long, which is pretty close). It doesn't sound like much, but I can feel the difference and am able to get more into my hips. The problem is finding adequate flat weightlifting shoes. Currently I'm using old Do-Wins with the heel taken out by a cobbler.
    Awesome thanks for the advice - I'll have to look into that.

The shoes I have are called VS Athletics (I don't know if they're made anymore) and they have a pretty high heel.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Could you please explain what you mean by having a few more degrees of freedom?
    Degrees of freedom - Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thank you.

So I think it's safe to say that since people with long torso/short legs have fewer degrees of freedom, the movement of the squat must be more precise.

But also, perhaps those people have a mechanical advantage as well if they can perform the movement correctly because the back is more vertical, thus moving the weight more efficiently? (compared to someone who has to make their back very horizontal)

I also imagine that someone with this demographic has thicker legs, thus allowing their levers to move more better.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post
    Thank you.

So I think it's safe to say that since people with long torso/short legs have fewer degrees of freedom, the movement of the squat must be more precise.

But also, perhaps those people have a mechanical advantage as well if they can perform the movement correctly because the back is more vertical, thus moving the weight more efficiently? (compared to someone who has to make their back very horizontal)

I also imagine that someone with this demographic has thicker legs, thus allowing their levers to move more better.
    The long torso/short femured individual will not use as much hip and back as a short torso/long femured individual. While this seems to be a disadvantage due to the use of less muscle tissue to move the weight, don't forget that the bar will travel a much shorter distance due to the back not needing to incline forward to a large degree. Additionally, the fulcrum points (knee joint, hip joint) will be much closer to the vertical bar path. The moment forces acting on the lifters structure will be smaller, allowing a weight to seem lighter.

In my experience the majority of lifters will fit in between the two extreme's and the use of a generic style such as SS would be a good starting point. The lifter will then tweak his/her stance over a perod of time based on experience.

Compare Kirk Karwoski (short femur) to Steve Goggins (long femur) and you'll see what I mean.

This will give you an idea what changes with different proportions and technique: mysquatmechanics.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    This will give you an idea what changes with different proportions and technique: mysquatmechanics.com
    This is a very cool site - thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12