starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Torso Short Legs (Stay more vertical?)

Default Long Torso Short Legs (Stay more vertical?)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Rip,

When you have a trainee with a long torso and short legs do you ever cue them to "stay vertical"?

Someone like that will obviously have a much more vertical squat than someone with short torso/long legs.

Most of the time I imagine you tell people to bend over, but in this case what is something helpful to say?

Also, is it beneficial for someone to have this anatomical difference? As opposed to someone who bends over more in the squat

Thanks,

Matt

If they need to hear "stay more vertical" I cue it, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post
    Hello Rip,

When you have a trainee with a long torso and short legs do you ever cue them to "stay vertical"?

Someone like that will obviously have a much more vertical squat than someone with short torso/long legs.

Most of the time I imagine you tell people to bend over, but in this case what is something helpful to say?

Also, is it beneficial for someone to have this anatomical difference? As opposed to someone who bends over more in the squat

Thanks,

Matt
    I am built like this trainee in which you speak, almost to comical proportions. I do, in fact, have to stay more vertical than the model, but the model was designed for normally proportioned people, not insects.

Just curious, but at about what proportions do you consider someone outside the bounds of average? For instance, I am 6'1" with a 31" (jeans) inseam. I think I am slightly short-legged, but pretty close to average.

Staying more upright was something that I learned from my consultation with Andy Baker - I hadn't gleaned it from the book, though it did make more sense as he explained it.

I'm 5' 10.5" but only have a 29" inseam.

I'm struggling lately as my squats are getting heavier - as I start the hip drive out of the bottom and have the natural decrease in back angle, I have to really push myself to keep the back angle consistent so I don't get too far forward and lose control of the weight...had to dump one not long back and was really disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm View Post
    Just curious, but at about what proportions do you consider someone outside the bounds of average? For instance, I am 6'1" with a 31" (jeans) inseam. I think I am slightly short-legged, but pretty close to average.
    I'd have to see you squat.

Staying more upright was something that I learned from my consultation with Andy Baker - I hadn't gleaned it from the book, though it did make more sense as he explained it.

I'm 5' 10.5" but only have a 29" inseam.

I'm struggling lately as my squats are getting heavier - as I start the hip drive out of the bottom and have the natural decrease in back angle, I have to really push myself to keep the back angle consistent so I don't get too far forward and lose control of the weight...had to dump one not long back and was really disappointed.
    This is interesting. I'm 6' With a 35.5" inseam. I have the the tendency to get too forward because i have a very flat back angle.

What's even more interesting is that this is in the book.

You are more than a little short-legged (and we have the same inseam and I'm an inch shorter). Did you ever wonder why airline and auto seats have such nice neck pads, but no head rest?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    You are more than a little short-legged (and we have the same inseam and I'm an inch shorter). Did you ever wonder why airline and auto seats have such nice neck pads, but no head rest?
    Was actually contemplating this on a plane yesterday. Everyone else' head, or portion thereof, is resting against the chair back, mine is resting on top of the chair back. 6', 31 inch inseam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast