starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cancer Mortality, Men vs. Women

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm happy my suggestion didn't sound that ridiculous. I know you're for natural training, and was a bit afraid of a harsh criticism from you on my position. By the way, weed known as good for appetite. But at least in this case some docs understand the importance of the "drug". And the government, since when have they been concerned of our health?..

Quote Originally Posted by mdillon View Post

I would like to investigate this more carefully, so if anyone can point me to some data that compares case fatality % in men vs. women I'd appreciate it.
    There are 100s of studies on this. Try pubmed or google scholar for "cancer survival ffm" (that's fat free mass) and look for effect modification by gender.

You can also look for the term "cachexia"

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    I had to FIGHT with the docs to get my brother on testosterone. It was maddening. His turnaround after he started on T amazed every nurse. I couldn't believe it.
    I have stage 3/4 bowel cancer diagnosed February, just finished 6 months chemo. Have lost about 45lbs (currently 135bs and stable at 5'10"). Eating enough was incredibly hard, and made recovery from lifting impossible.
    Previously had a 300+ squat, 400 + DL and 200+ bench. I've had colitis since 2003, so this was already hard work to acheive (currently no colitis symptoms).

Strength has all vanished now, can barely squat an empty bar for 5. I'll be getting back into lifting when I can eat something more than cornflakes (bowel tumour blockage made eating enough impossible for obvious reasons, but that problem is partly subsided now). Have SIRT and surgery still to go, and need to gain weight.

I've long wondered about Testosterone treatment to help with regaining mass. I'll ask about it with my MDT (who are the best available in Europe, thankfully, I have health insurance so don't need to rely on the NHS for anything).

The main issues I have left are in the liver. I don't drink or smoke. I'm starting my masters degre in economics at Cambridge University in a few weeks, so need to get stronger. I worked my ass off (kinda literally) for this for the last three years and I'm not missing it. Already had to give up a great job to stay in hospital for several weeks.

I have lost none of my drive in life, be it professional, sexual etc. I have a great attitude and am enjoying life, setting big goals and achieving etc, I.e. I don't feel like a guy with low test besides of course having little lean muscle left.
    I really want my strength and size back. Training was going so well until I started chemo. Thank you Rip for your books, it meant I went into this weighing a solid 81kg as supposed to the 64kg I weighed before training.

I'd really appreciate any info from people who have received Test therapy for serious conditions such as mine, here or private message. I've never met anyone in the UK (or anywhere) who got a Test prescription, I have no experience with it.

What my doctors want me to do now above all else is bulk up. The said eat anything and everything, even if dozens of candy bars. I'd rather gain good mass (and strength) as supposed to pure fat but weak. I've seen people recovering from this condition who have regained a lot of weight, but it's all fat and little strength. I'd like to do better than that. Thanks all.

We'll ask the board.

http://promotingexcellence.growthhou.../jacs_0703.pdf
    Good review article on the anorexia-cachexia syndrome with specific recommendations.

Sometimes testosterone is contraindicated.
    I have a friend with advanced prostate cancer. All the doctors recommended bilateral orchiectomy.
    Don't ever get prostate cancer.

And sometimes the contraindication is wrong. If you're dying of prostate cancer, and the reason you're dying is really the sarcopenia, and testosterone helps you hold muscle mass and eat, the contraindication becomes less clear. You're going to tell the guy to just sit down and die?

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Sometimes testosterone is contraindicated.
    I have a friend with advanced prostate cancer. All the doctors recommended bilateral orchiectomy.
    Don't ever get prostate cancer.
    Cancer is never good, but there are more and less aggressive kinds of this shit. With prostate cancer you may live 10-30 years, depends on many factors, including the age when the disease had started. And an appropriate treatment on time.
    I agree with Mark with what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And sometimes the contraindication is wrong. If you're dying of prostate cancer, and the reason you're dying is really the sarcopenia, and testosterone helps you hold muscle mass and eat, the contraindication becomes less clear. You're going to tell the guy to just sit down and die?
    This is true. Technically my friend is not dying, though about 3/4 of his prostate had an aggressive form of cancer, which was removed. Not yet clear if it had metastasized.
    My understanding is that the awful process of getting neutered greatly increased his projected lifespan or prospects of not getting a recurrence according to the doctors. I was at a complete loss for what to tell him.
    To my chagrin, and in retrospect recommending strength training to him might be the best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    Cancer is never good, but there are more and less aggressive kinds of this shit. With prostate cancer you may live 10-30 years, depends on many factors, including the age when the disease had started. And an appropriate treatment on time.
    I agree with Mark with what he said.
    He's approaching 60, and they caught it kind of late through PSA blood levels, he was mostly asymptomatic, except he said frequent nightly urination.
    This also scared the crap out of me, and I quickly got the PSA test, which fortunately was very low. FFS people, if you're at risk get tested.
    I'll be on hand for him if he wants to begin strength training.
    It's tragic to think TRT might now be a course of treatment, if any doctor would prescribe it given the circumstances.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast