starting strength gym
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the purpose of powerlifting meets

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    competing against yourself in a strict competitive environment.

Camaraderie. Making friends. Hanging out in a tight singlet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    For most people, signing up and paying money to compete will produce greater results than if they had just lifted on their own at their own pace
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnStrangeway View Post
    Everyone has their reasons, and like Mark hinted at, if that is the view point, whats the point of anything? Its really an individual thing I guess.

Makes you get out of your comfort zone; which in turn makes you better. Deadlifting 500 in your garage is different than at a meet where you have spectators, pressure, seeing other lift more, worrying about failing in front of folk.

Lets you see where you are at; I started PL in my garage, my lifts were average but it wasn't until I started competing and seeing "whats possible" that I made leaps and bounds. Seeing someone deadlift 800 when you struggle with 405 really opens your mind.

Its enjoyable.

I was/am very shy. I could never of pictured myself doing that, but I did, before getting injured I did 15 (Missouri strongest man 2013 I think I nearly had two panic/anxiety attacks, vision went, felt shaky/nervous and I felt dizzy before two events) so doing the meets helped me in that way which was very valuable.

Thanks for the responses.

I suppose the sole purpose is more about meeting people, having a good time & gauging where you personally are with your lifts, rather than being the best - I had the wrong idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post

I suppose the sole purpose is more about meeting people, having a good time & gauging where you personally are with your lifts, rather than being the best - I had the wrong idea.

As others have pointed out it's powerful motivation to achieve the highest possible numbers. If there was a sole purpose, that would be it.

What is the purpose ?
    Obviously to crush your opponents; to see them driven out of the competition before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

You all have confirmed my thoughts - you pay money to make yourself feel good.
    This isn't exactly wrong, but it does stupidly miss the point. Feeling good is really all any of us spend our money on.

"Being the best" is no better or more obvious a reason to compete than the others given, especially if you're only the best out of the people who show up that day, weighing the same as you, in the same age range as you, wearing the same stuff as you and taking the same kinds of PEDs/supplements as you - unless you're an Open Raw Natty Super-heavyweight, I guess.

Personally I compete to focus my training (and get a reminder that magazine cover low body fat isn't what "strong" looks like in the real world).

I think everyone is missing the big picture here: you go to a meet to get the t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I get the impression that Matt (OP) is about 13.
    His posts remind me of matt_217.

The purpose of entering a competition of any type is to show you have more balls than the guy in the cheap seats taking pot shots talking about how good he is/was/could be compared to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SQUAT_316 View Post
    His posts remind me of matt_217.
    That was my old account I lost access to. Ha.

starting strength coach development program
    Ha.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast