starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current shoe recommendation?

Default Current shoe recommendation?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, I have read numerous topics regarding this issue (spent good 4 hours today looking for info). I am long femured individual and my current Adidas Adipowers feel less than optimal to me. I started having issues when I began to cut some extra weight ( most of which was on my ass ). I found myself to be much more vertical than usual on my low bar squats and with bigger tendency to look in front of me instead of at the floor. I also found out that heels are no good for us folks who are almost horizontal at the deadlift. So I decided to look for some good flat shoes. To my surprise, most of "great" shoes that I have seen recommended or that have been praised by people are discontinued.
    Which brings me to the following question: What flat shoes would you recommend nowdays?
    Thanks.

There are none that I know of, if you mean metatarsal-strap lifting shoes.

Risto makes a "flat" WL/PL shoe with a strap.

It has a wood sole, so maybe the overall sole isn't as thin as it could be (i.e. a PowerLifter lifting in slippers to get as low as possible, for decreased ROM).

I have not seen the shoe in person: HERE: romaleos

They use the term "wood heel", so it's probably not perfectly flat....maybe 1/4" heel in the pic.

Many have complained about Risto customer service, lengthy delivery, etc

As with all things: Buyer beware

Many have also complained about their shoes falling apart, thus making customer service more important.

You can try the Metal Powerlifting Shoes or Sabo Deadlifts. No personal experience, but I have heard good things about both. The Metals are narrow while the Sabos are not.

Quote Originally Posted by legendary View Post
    Hello, I have read numerous topics regarding this issue (spent good 4 hours today looking for info). I am long femured individual and my current Adidas Adipowers feel less than optimal to me. I started having issues when I began to cut some extra weight ( most of which was on my ass ). I found myself to be much more vertical than usual on my low bar squats and with bigger tendency to look in front of me instead of at the floor. I also found out that heels are no good for us folks who are almost horizontal at the deadlift. So I decided to look for some good flat shoes. To my surprise, most of "great" shoes that I have seen recommended or that have been praised by people are discontinued.
    Which brings me to the following question: What flat shoes would you recommend nowdays?
    Thanks.
    Buy a pair of chuck taylors for 50 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Many have also complained about their shoes falling apart, thus making customer service more important.
    Quite so. I had a seam come out after one month. I was told the warranty policy was actually the 2 week unused return policy and they refused to service them. A year later I have two more coming out which I'll need to deal with in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabeswole View Post
    Buy a pair of chuck taylors for 50 bucks
    No, don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, don't do that.
    Once you rip off the insole, it's the most economical deadlift shoe for those with short arms and long trunks

starting strength coach development program
    If economy is the priority, don't use shoes at all.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast