starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form - self critique, comments on anything I missed appreciated.

Default Squat form - self critique, comments on anything I missed appreciated.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here is myself doing my last set of 25 with the 45 lb. bar: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...48951474477624

From what I can see here are the issues I am having:

Many times I am not going full depth; I was convinced that I was.

I am leaning over TOO much, and along with that the torso sometimes drops before the hips do.

I think I am sitting back too much which places the bar too far forward, i.e. not over the middle of the foot and my knees aren't far enough forward.

It looks like my knees aren't involved until the hips have moved a substantial distance. I assume this is due to sitting back too far.

Are there any things that I missed or misinterpreted? Do you have any recommendations for these issues not addressed in other posts?

Thanks.

It is very hard to critique form on a rehab set of 45 x 25, because fatigue and very light weight tend to make good form difficult. What leg injury were you rehabbing?

No leg injury, I was just trying to put as little weight on my shoulders as possible while I am fixing my shoulder issue. I wanted to play it safe and not do much in case the squat would bother the shoulder.

You tried a normal workset weight, and it hurt badly enough to make you think you would re-injure your shoulder? Or you assumed it would?

No I just assumed that it could have a negative impact on the healing process.

I squatted normally today, here is my last warm-up set and my 3 work sets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiHns7slR7w

From what I see, on the warm-up set, the shoulders didn't rise along with the hips about halfway. One the work sets, there were some reps where I didn't hold my breath during the whole rep but instead let out a rather loud grunt/yell.
    My head looks like it could be a bit more in the "down" position. On one of the last reps, when they were very difficult my head started pushing back and up as I was straining. You can probably see that I corrected it very quickly.

Thanks.

err, I didn't stop the video between some sets. Just watching the sets would save much of your time. Sorry for the angle, propping a cellphone is taking experimentation, and the last set I think someone dropping weights moved it. Note to self: move squat box farther away, and more to side.

Also, here is my 3rd work set from today at 205 lbs from a different angle. I did not include the videos of the 1st and 2nd sets as I was an idiot and forgot to change the weights on the left side of the bar. I was doing 170 lbs. with 15 more on the right side; I was supposed to be doing 185 as last workout I only got 2 out of 5 reps at 195.

Thank you.

These squats, the parts I can see anyway, look pretty good.

Thank you coach. If you are ok with it, I will record my squats Saturday at a better angle so you can see head position, etc. I must remember not to do stupid things like forgetting to load the bar with the same weight on each side. That is a great way to injure myself.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, you need to watch that.