starting strength gym

Thread: Training for cycling.

Default Training for cycling.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First off, thank you for responding to my other posts.

I have one last question for you, at least for a while I suppose. I ride my bicycle often; it is my favorite past-time. I try to ride at least 1 hour every day and if I am lucky I get about one day a week where I get 3 or 4 hours in. I am in my late 50s, low body fat, heart rate ~48 bpm.

I have been lifting weights for a while, but the only training I have consists of benching the same weight for probably months, pull-up negatives (as I can't do one on my own) and hamstring curls on a "free weight" machine. I have not made really any progress whatsoever on any of those exercises.

I suppose that the big 5 lifts in some manner are what is in order, but what rep range, volume and intensity levels I am unsure of. I think it is important to note that I have had tendonitis in my heel before, though it eventually went away. When I was younger I used to run for my past-time and exercise, but it began to hurt my knees quite badly; I have had an aversion to doing squats partly because of this. Thanks.

You're a novice to barbell training. Do the novice program in my books.

Simple enough. Thanks.

With your novice program in addition to all the cycling I do, I won't overtrain as long as I eat/sleep enough right?