starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squatting ATG/Flexibility question

Default Squatting ATG/Flexibility question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just got done reading about the squat in SS... and I'm somewhat confused. I'm switching over from the olympic ATG squats I have been doing.

I can squat hams to calves with a narrower stance than is drawn in the diagrams (about 4" narrower), but only just below parallel with the stance shown. The wider stance stretches my adductors a great deal.

What is the benefit of using the wider stance but not getting the entire range of motion?

You're using more muscle - the adductors you just mentioned. The ROM will improve as you become more flexible in the new stance.

Ok, I've done them a couple times now and I'm getting the feel down.

Would it make sense that my weight dropped about 10-15 pounds from my olympic squat since I've never done anything but olympic squats before?

Also, would you consider dumbbell benching in a Texas Method program at all?

Thanks

not to derail the thread, but a quick question. As I have become more flexible in the squat, I notice I am more comfortable with a slightly wider stance than say a month ago... is this common as flexibilty increases? I definitely get deeper now that my stance is a little more open. Maybe powerhawk will experience the same as his adductors open up?

You will get better at anything the more you do it, and it is not unusual to drop a little strength when you change techniques on any movement. The low-back squat usually allows you to use more weight the first day, but not if you expect otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by BBskid View Post
    not to derail the thread, but a quick question. As I have become more flexible in the squat, I notice I am more comfortable with a slightly wider stance than say a month ago... is this common as flexibilty increases? I definitely get deeper now that my stance is a little more open. Maybe powerhawk will experience the same as his adductors open up?
    Clearly that would happen.

I'm trying to stretch my hamstrings on a regular basis, is the stand up and touch your toes method any good?

Just thought of something else... when I'm squatting, the bar seems to arch my back just because of the position it is in. It forces it into an almost exaggerated arch at the top, like you say is unnatural and bad for the DL. Does the same apply to the squat, or is this OK?

That will work as a stretch, yes. And any loaded overextension of the lumbar spine is not a real good idea.

OK, I suppose trying to tighten my core up will help, thanks.

The center of my back keeps getting very sore the day after pressing... is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

That's kinda what happens when you squish things in your thoracic spine with a loaded overextension. You're apparently doing it when you press too. Stop that!.

starting strength coach development program
    powerhawk,

this video might help regarding the posture.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...reQuestion.mov

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast