starting strength gym

Thread: Training with Ankle Sprain

Default Training with Ankle Sprain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,

I started doing SS and eating once I found out about it over the summer, and put on 20lbs of bodyweight and 90lbs on my squat. I follow the program strictly, eat a downright painful amount of food and get an ok amount of sleep. A few days ago, I played some pickup basketball and sprained an ankle (mostly ligament, but a tiny crack in bone). It hurts to walk, I am using my crutches and boot, and doc has told me not to put weight on the foot for 2 weeks. I'm real pissed off that I cannot continue progress in my squat, deads, and things.

What should I do about my training?

John

I'd go ahead and train. But then again, I'm stupid: I squatted 4 days after my appendectomy. You have already put weight on the foot, haven't you? And you know that you'll heal faster if you continue to do so at as quickly-increasing a level as you can stand, don't you? Because you know that if this were 30,000 years ago the hyenas would eat you if you didn't, right? So you be the judge, not the doctor. Rehab it aggressively as you can possibly stand, because that's the only way that really works. You know this already, because it's in your DNA.

I suffered a severe ankle sprain about five years ago and got saddled with the whole boot/crutches thing. After a week of not noticing any improvement I decided to junk the aids and started to get better. Not only did the pain start to subside and function improve, but the blood/bruising that was ALL over my leg started to fade and swelling went down. This might be a bit of "after it therefore because of it" thinking but it's tough to ignore the quick turnaround after such slow recovery with the boot and crutches.

I don't think I could have trained on it because the pain was just too bad, but the advice not to coddle it is right. Take care of it and make sure you don't further injure it, but don't let the thing atrophy.