starting strength gym

Thread: Assistance Exercises for SS ?

Default Assistance Exercises for SS ?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi there coach. I've been doing SS for a few months and have made decent progress. My current numbers are (using the set/rep scheme specified by you in SS):

squat - 82.5kg
    bench - 74.5kg
    deadlift - 112.5kg
    press - 51.5kg
    power clean - 62.5kg

bodyweight - 98kg
    bf% - abt 20%

fyi, my diet currently is at 4200 calories with about 270g protein and equal amounts of fat and carbs, so i don't think that's the problem.

my question is: would adding in assistance exercises like the rdl and weighted situps do any good to extend my pr streak (lifts seem real heavy now)? if yes, what set/rep scheme should i use?

Thanks beforehand

You're not even at a bodyweight set of 5 yet, so I doubt that adding anything to the program except maybe more rest between sets or more carefully thought-out increases would be warranted. A "few months" on the program does not calculate to a 82.5 x 5 squat at a bodyweight of 98, so you are not doing the actual program, are you?

haha...

firstly, thanks for your reply.

i've just looked in my logbook, i started the program on 9 september so it's been just under 2 months...but in reality it's closer to 6 weeks cos i was overseas for 1 week and did some other stuff for 1 week...

i also found out that in this time i've plateaued twice, once at 75kg (which i went back to 70kg and resumed from there) and another time at 85kg (which i went back to 80kg and resumed from there)...i think it's because my diet wasn't good in the first few weeks...

i was hoping to at least reach bodyweight like u said...i hope i can do that cos i've just recently been more meticulous with my diet...

currently i'm just adding 2.5kg to my squat cos it's what u suggest so i think i should be ok...

thanks very much for your help coach