starting strength gym
Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Supplement - What, When, Why and How

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jwagner View Post
    But eating their still-beating hearts after hand to fin combat still steals their powers, right?
    That depends on where it all goes down. Sharks ain't shit! Great Whites? Pussies. If I saw a great white shark in the street I'd mess him up! I'd kick him *and* punch him. I'd yell as I slapped him - "now you're in my realm, and you ain't so tough! Try to bite me now you shark bastard!"

If we were in the water, well, that's a different story.

So I've tried having routines where I do BCAA between meals, and where I divide my daily beta alanine up in smaller doses taken 2 times a day. Problem is, I tend to forget non-breakfast supplementation cause it's not as firmly a routine.

Now let's say you you were aiming for 15 g of BCAA a day and you had the choice between 1 dose of 15g or 3 doses of 5 g, and you would often forget one of those 3 doses. Would the second alternative be better for protein synthesis even when forgetting it once in a while? Or is total daily protein intake more important? Cause the point of BCAA practically speaking seems to me to be more about frequency and retaining a constant low level of protein synthesis as much as you can..

Just figuring I need to find some way to remember to take my BCAA more frequently...

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    So I've tried having routines where I do BCAA between meals, and where I divide my daily beta alanine up in smaller doses taken 2 times a day. Problem is, I tend to forget non-breakfast supplementation cause it's not as firmly a routine.

Now let's say you you were aiming for 15 g of BCAA a day and you had the choice between 1 dose of 15g or 3 doses of 5 g, and you would often forget one of those 3 doses. Would the second alternative be better for protein synthesis even when forgetting it once in a while? Or is total daily protein intake more important? Cause the point of BCAA practically speaking seems to me to be more about frequency and retaining a constant low level of protein synthesis as much as you can..

Just figuring I need to find some way to remember to take my BCAA more frequently...
    Just set an alarm on your phone so you don't forget. 2 doses of 5g are better than one dose of 15g, but daily amino acid load is also important.

Finally, no, BCAA use does not retain a constant low level of protein synthesis- it augments existing protein synthesis to very high levels for a short period of time when taken in isolation from meals and then MPS drops off a cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    ...... and then MPS drops off a cliff.
    is this why I feel hungry about 45 minutes after taking BCAAs?

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    is this why I feel hungry about 45 minutes after taking BCAAs?
    Nope.

I'm sure this question has been asked one thousand times but do I understand that, theoretically at least, as long as it hits my ideal macronutrient & caloric intake, I could set a 2 hour alarm on my phone reminding me to either eat a meal (ideally containing 3-4 g leucine) or slug 5 g bcaas?

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    I'm sure this question has been asked one thousand times but do I understand that, theoretically at least, as long as it hits my ideal macronutrient & caloric intake, I could set a 2 hour alarm on my phone reminding me to either eat a meal (ideally containing 3-4 g leucine) or slug 5 g bcaas?
    No. BCAAs @ 2 hrs? Yes. Meal @ 2hrs? No.

Is the extra non-BCAA stuff in Xtend worth it like citrulline malate and electrolytes? I can get flavored bulk BCAA's on Canadian Protein, $32 for one month's supply vs. $52 (63% pricier) for one month's supply from Xtend. I train 6 days per week, take 10g pre and post workout. I do train one hour after waking up though, and I've read that you recommend electrolytes for that type of crowd (although I drink a liter of water before going in with BCAA's/WMS/oats).

This question doesn't deserve its own thread...

My morning supplement stack goes like this:
    • 5g creatine monohydrate
    • 9-13g powdered psyllium husks
    • 2 Fish oil caps (total 1500mg EPA, 330mg DHA)
    • Centrum multivitamin
    • 5000IU D3

Most morning I eat a whey-spiked bowl of oatmeal as well.

It is suboptimal from an absorption standpoint to take it all in one fell swoop?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe View Post
    Is the extra non-BCAA stuff in Xtend worth it like citrulline malate and electrolytes? I can get flavored bulk BCAA's on Canadian Protein, $32 for one month's supply vs. $52 (63% pricier) for one month's supply from Xtend. I train 6 days per week, take 10g pre and post workout. I do train one hour after waking up though, and I've read that you recommend electrolytes for that type of crowd (although I drink a liter of water before going in with BCAA's/WMS/oats).
    I think the Xtend "extras" are worth some extra money, but not 63% more.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    It is suboptimal from an absorption standpoint to take it all in one fell swoop?
    I probably could make an argument that there are some interactions in there, but I don't think you should do anything differently.

Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast