starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carb Back Loading

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've seen a few sources that recommend not adding carbs in post workout in order to preserve insulin sensitivity(specifically to allow amino acids to be transported to cells) gained from heavy lifting
    Well insulin increases amino acid sequestration into the cell AND insulin sensitivity is "higher" post workout for many hours. Without carbohydrates, you'll get less insulin response, which leads to less mTOR stimulation, less glycogen synthesis, and less amino acid shuttling into the cells. In addition to the increased insulin sensitivity PWO, remember the normal function of insulin includes upregulating glut-4 receptors (previously in vesicles) to the cell surface membrane. This is an ADDITIVE effect that compounds the normal PWO insulin sensitivity. Quite literally, a PWO meal that's appropriately structured is the only time you get 2+2=5 from your food. Trying to maintain insulin sensitivity for extended periods of time, while good in theory, requires metrics that are not conducive to performance or aesthetics. In fact, there is a benefit to being insulin resistant in certain tissues, i.e. fat, at certain points in order to increase flux of fatty acids out of the adipose tissue.

In short, it makes little sense to focus on maximizing insulin sensitivity, growth hormone levels, testosterone levels, etc. in a vacuum, as it matters more what's happening on a combined level.

Also, one thing I've been wondering about CBL is how strong the research actually is that insulin rises earlier in the morning effect fat burning later in the day? This seems to be one of the more controversial claims Kiefer makes.
    Not strong at all, except in certain diabetic populations. Even then, the research is questionable.

1 more. Does the same apply to heavy HIIT like wingates/prowler sprints?

Thanks, again, dude. This stuff is awesome. Truly appreciated.

Thanks again for your time Jordan. Absolute gent.

I typically consume very few carbs during the day. Typically my food choices in the daytime are:
    Stuffed Bell Peppers (Minced Beef + Passata + Chilli + Spices + Soft Cheese)
    Cooked poultry + vegetables (Broccoli, Green Beans, Cauliflower)
    Ham rolled with soft cheese
    Smoked Salmon with Avocado
    Tuna Salad - Tomato, Red Onion, Olives, Feta Cheese

----

I'm keen to address the point of missing out on gains so will listen to you point regarding adding carbs to the preworkout shake. I have oats, but am unable to add these to my shake - they'd just clump in my shaker! Will look into buying Instant Oats from myprotein.co.uk

----

Now all I need to do is to stop having the odd poor weekend here and there (ie drinking far too much, and hardly eating anything for the successive days) and I'll be on to a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by tzanghi View Post
    1 more. Does the same apply to heavy HIIT like wingates/prowler sprints?

Thanks, again, dude. This stuff is awesome. Truly appreciated.
    Pre and post workout nutrition? Yes. Worst thing someone could do is fasted cardio.

I'm keen to address the point of missing out on gains so will listen to you point regarding adding carbs to the preworkout shake. I have oats, but am unable to add these to my shake - they'd just clump in my shaker! Will look into buying Instant Oats from myprotein.co.uk
    Instant oats (Quaker or similar), soak in the protein + water and go down just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Pre and post workout nutrition? Yes. Worst thing someone could do is fasted cardio.
    Seriously? It's always bad?

Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by scteacher View Post
    Seriously? It's always bad?

Oops!
    Yea at least have a protein shake or meal before it. Burns more fat that way

I meant the whole 2+2=5, specifically referring to the increase in insulin sensitivity and the translocation of Glut4 receptors to the surface of the muscle cells. I always thought cardio didn't elicit enough of this type of a response to warrant carbs Post-cardio, even if it's heavy HIIT. I generally eat a meal ~1-1.5 hours before and deep throat some BCAAs right after.

I meant the whole 2+2=5, specifically referring to the increase in insulin sensitivity and the translocation of Glut4 receptors to the surface of the muscle cells. I always thought cardio didn't elicit enough of this type of a response to warrant carbs Post-cardio, even if it's heavy HIIT. I generally eat a meal ~1-1.5 hours before and deep throat some BCAAs right after.
    Yes, heavy HIIT will do this too. Depending on the volume of it (and that of a comparable training session), HIIT may actually do this to a greater degree.

Yes, heavy HIIT will do this too. Depending on the volume of it (and that of a comparable training session), HIIT may actually do this to a greater degree.
    Wow, that's awesome. Looks like it may be time to add carbs in post-cardio.

starting strength coach development program
    Wow, that's awesome. Looks like it may be time to add carbs in post-cardio.
    All of the carbs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast