starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starchy Carbs

Default Starchy Carbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've read several of your posts where you have recommended starchy carbs as a main carb source.

I'm curious to know why?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    I've read several of your posts where you have recommended starchy carbs as a main carb source.

I'm curious to know why?
    How would you suppose one should get 200g of carbohydrates in a day without a somewhat dense source of carbohydrates, i.e. a starchy carb? Do you think this is harmful?

I see, of course.

Do I think it's harmful? No idea, probably not. All I know is they make me feel better.

The question came to mind because I often get headaches in the afternoon. I thought it might be dehydration, but it's not. I was trying to think what else it could be and then I remembered that when I eat my evening meal which has "starchy carbs", it cures the headache and tiredness.

I don't know how people get by on low/zero carb diets. I guess they get somewhat used to it.

Maybe he'd rather eat sugar.

Shift some of your carbs earlier in the day and you'll be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    How would you suppose one should get 200g of carbohydrates in a day without a somewhat dense source of carbohydrates, i.e. a starchy carb? Do you think this is harmful?
    I thought gummy bears was the solution, with a little protein as a bonus, no fat. They made my gut ache and I can tolerate anything. Would gummy worms or dinosaurs be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    I thought gummy bears was the solution, with a little protein as a bonus, no fat. They made my gut ache and I can tolerate anything. Would gummy worms or dinosaurs be better?
    Swedish fish, unless you're carb side loading. In that case, you need sour patch kids.

In general, I don't think most people can get by with zero/low carb. Most of the time they end up binging on sugar/carbs/etc and/or feeling like total crap, especially if they are doing ANY physical activity.

Of course there are exceptions to this; namely, those people who simply do not have access to carbohydrates.

I read an article on the Internet that gummy worms are actually superior due to an optimal shape-to-carbs ratio.

Is this wrong? Can you prove to me why? Can we fight about this for a while?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jsloan128 View Post
    In general, I don't think most people can get by with zero/low carb. Most of the time they end up binging on sugar/carbs/etc and/or feeling like total crap, especially if they are doing ANY physical activity.

Of course there are exceptions to this; namely, those people who simply do not have access to carbohydrates.
    This has not been my experience at all. I do agree with you that it's not optimal, however. The binging thing is a psychological issue, not a physiological one. The carbohydrate intake might contribute to that as well.

I read an article on the Internet that gummy worms are actually superior due to an optimal shape-to-carbs ratio.

Is this wrong? Can you prove to me why? Can we fight about this for a while?
    "The optimal surface volume to carbohydrate density is witnessed in the commonly available gummy worms, which are not to be confused with their bear-like counterparts"- Verkoshansky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast