starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting Belt and Paresthesia

Default Lifting Belt and Paresthesia

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan.

I noticed a while ago (mid March) that I have a persistent numbness on the outside, superior part of my thigh on the right side. It's limited to about a palm-sized patch of skin. I think it started when I got my new, thicker Inzer belt, but it's hard to be sure because one doesn't really feel something that's numb, and I don't touch that area very often.

I further associate this with the belt because I've had a few lifting sessions where putting the belt on caused tingling in the same area on the left side. I also read on line that constricting that area of the body can aggravate the lateral cutaneous nerve originating from the spine.

Anyway, I want to compete again in July (thank you for your help last time, I qualified for the USA nationals) which means continuing to train and wear a belt. Do you think continuing to train will cause long term damage? Do you think I should try a thinner belt to see if it goes away? Is this problem common among lifters?

Thanks again and good luck with your prep for nationals.

I have seen lateral femoral nerve entrapment a few times actually, though never in lifters and never from weight lifting belts. That said, it's definitely possible as one of the independent risk factors for the condition is "tight garments or braces around the abdomen or waist".

As far as what to do about it, I think trying a 10mm and/or 3" belt may be good options- though I don't think there's much risk for any serious sequelae coming from this condition besides the discomfort you've already experienced/that recurs.

You just didn't want to have to spell meralgia parathestica.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    You're exactly right. Good catch!

And neither did you!

meralgia paresthetica

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    You're exactly right. Good catch!
    To be fair, I had to look up the spelling, too.

And I probably wear my belt as tight as anyone for my back's sake. I did get some algia something or other. It's decreased with time but I have seen some people where it's a real bear and required steroids for flares. For me, now it's mostly positional. If it starts, I move my leg and it stops.

I have had these exact same symptoms twice when losing too much weight. As soon as I gained a little weight (fat) back it went away. I first thought I had messed up something in my back. But after I had it happen twice and had it go away twice when I gained a little weight, I figured it must be from the pressure of my clothing (at the belt line) on a nerve which was left unprotected by the lack of fat.

At the time I did not use a belt for squats and deadlifts. Now weighing 189lb instead of 172lb (at 5'10") I do use a belt (coincidently an Inzer) and do not have the problem.

I love this forum.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    And neither did you!

meralgia paresthetica

Damn it! I looked it up and STILL couldn't spell it. I am, officially, an idiot.

And Futurama rocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast