starting strength gym

Thread: B vitamins & mental health

Default B vitamins & mental health

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've eaten rather dirty for the past few years as I started SS very skinny (5ft 10 135lb), I'm now around 200lb on texas method and trying to clean up my diet, I feel lethargic, apathetic and shitty most the time. I'm reading a book called "Ultramind Solution" by Mark Hyman, I'm thinking of buying some recommended supplements for "brain health":

Folate:800mcg
    B6:50mg
    B12:1000mcg (methylcobalamin)

This is much higher than the RDA, whats your opinion on taking excessive levels of B vitamins like this for mental health? Does it need to be cycled? Just wanted to know if this is silly bullshit or not

Thanks

Eh b-vitamins tend to get toxic at about 1000x RDA levels, but high folic acid supplementation has been associated with increased cancer risks, perhaps.

As far as the evidence that taking high levels of B vitamins for mental health, in my opinion there's conflicting data in small trials and mouse studies but in larger human trials with objective measurements there is no point to supplementing if you live in a country that fortifies its food, have no small intestine pathology (e.g. celiac or Crohn's), and aren't an alcoholic/malnourished.

Rather than look for the magic pill/solution via supplements, Why not just eat healthy and see what this does for your overall feelings of wellbeing? My guess is fixing your diet will address 99% of the issue...

Lethargy in my experience is associated with overeating, especially simple carbohydrates. It can also be a symptom of overtraining. But my guess is you're eating too much. Before you eat, take a mental snapshot of how you feel and what you're eating...then take note of how you feel an hour and two hours later. Use that as a guide to adjust food quality and quantity until you no longer feel like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by djsilvera View Post
    Lethargy in my experience is associated with overeating, especially simple carbohydrates. It can also be a symptom of overtraining. But my guess is you're eating too much. Before you eat, take a mental snapshot of how you feel and what you're eating...then take note of how you feel an hour and two hours later. Use that as a guide to adjust food quality and quantity until you no longer feel like shit.
    This is a decent option to try, but definitely have seen very mixed results with this approach.