starting strength gym

Thread: Just a quick Q to make sure I'm on track.

Default Just a quick Q to make sure I'm on track.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone, Im Justin. New to the forums. I've been following Starting Strength for about a month and Ive really been enjoying it. I had a quick question regarding my macros, Sometimes I feel as though I am on track and other times I worry that I am not eating enough to recover, so if I could get some feedback I'd really appreciate it.

My body stats:
    Height 5'9
    Weight 170lbs
    Bodyfat% (Ive never measured but I'd guess 15-18%)

My Training program is as follows:
    Sundays: Rest
    Monday: 30 minutes of Karate training (I am a karate student and instructor) this would be equivelant to HIIT cardio session.

Tuesday:
    Starting Strength A or B days
    An hour of Karate training (first half hour to fourty five minutes being HIT pace before moving into more technique based work)

Wednesday: 30 minutes of Karate training (same as Monday)

Thursday:
    Same as Tuesday

Friday:
    Rest Day

Saturday:
    Starting Strength A or B day
    An hour and a half of Karate training.

My macros on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday are
    Calories: 2079
    Protein: 174.10
    Carbs:189.04
    Fat:69.64

Tuesday and Thursday are:
    Calories: 2772.45
    Carbs: 362.32

and Saturdays I do a High Calorie day
    Calories: 3465
    Carbs: 535.60

These Macros were calculated by a really cool app I own called Nutritionist but the app is really focused on body composition. ((I have it listed on the "Gain Muscle" setting.))
    I am looking to optimally fuel my performance while gaining muscle mass and Im a bit ignorant as to if there is a gap between the two. My weight hasn't really gone up, but I do notice changes in my body. Being a novice though, I am pretty new to all of this and I remember Rip mentioning in his book that a Novice will see changes simply because they are a novice and their body responds to any sort of resistance.

Thanks in advance everyone, look forward to learning more as I go along.

Justin

Hey Justin,

Welcome to the forums and I hope the program is working well for you. To answer your question, no you're not eating enough to recovery. This is easily discernible when you say:

My weight hasn't really gone up
    I'd do the macros you hit Tues and Thurs everyday for 1 week and go up from there.

Hi Jordan,

Thank you for your quick reply and the warm welcome. So far I really love the program! Im getting stronger with every week . Sure, I'll make the adjustments today and Ill follow that for a week and then Ill check back here next Wednesday.

Thanks again!
    Justin