starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein Shakes

Default Protein Shakes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Jordan,

Is it alright to get the bulk of my protein from shakes (im talking over 220 grams)?

I have started tracking my macros after reading your to be a beast article (great work by the way, thank you!) and I rather like the flexibility of it. But I am having a hard time with compliance for getting the protein requirement. I know that this is due to me not making it a top priority as I have other things I am more concerned about at this time. However, strength doesn't care and if it's possible to get my protein by drinking shakes without missing out on anything gained by eating a more varied diet, I would prefer to do so.

Thanks for your help!

If you put a gun to my head, I'll admit that you CAN get your protein from whey if you absolutely have to. However, I think you should probably eat more protein (chicken/tuna/eggs) and make that a priority. If you want to be strong, you can't live on whey. That's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    If you put a gun to my head, I'll admit that you CAN get your protein from whey if you absolutely have to. However, I think you should probably eat more protein (chicken/tuna/eggs) and make that a priority. If you want to be strong, you can't live on whey. That's the truth.
    Can we discuss this some more? I only eat one sit-down meal per day. The other 4-5 are mixtures of whey, milk, maltodextrin, and waxy maize, a bit of fiber (some ergogenic stuff too; creatine, beta alanine, etc., depending). I try to eat a meat, a veggie, and a starch at dinner, with more milk. Not very varied, but I pick high-nutrient choices. I also take vitamin/mineral supplements. I tend to think my setup is close to what you recommend.

I was under the impression that the amino profile of whey is superior to just about anything else. Also, I can get my macros just right as a side advantage, depending on what my body and lifts were doing. I thought the only downside was that I have to drink unpalatable shakes as opposed to palatable meals. Am I missing out on something?

What about the other way around? If I'm easily able to get enough protein through "normal food", should incorporating a little whey (perhaps PWO) be a priority or would a PWO meal of meat and rice be just as good as long as everything adds up on the bottom line of myfitnesspal?

(Assuming that I am eating a lot of meat so I don't run into the scenario where I get 200g of crappy protein from plants.)
    (By meat I mean all dead animal flesh including poultry and fish.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradford Reeves View Post
    Can we discuss this some more? I only eat one sit-down meal per day. The other 4-5 are mixtures of whey, milk, maltodextrin, and waxy maize, a bit of fiber (some ergogenic stuff too; creatine, beta alanine, etc., depending). I try to eat a meat, a veggie, and a starch at dinner, with more milk. Not very varied, but I pick high-nutrient choices. I also take vitamin/mineral supplements. I tend to think my setup is close to what you recommend.
    I think you're probably doing well from a macro standpoint, but 6 meals a day with 5 of them being whey EVERYDAY is a bit more whey than I'd like. Again, I have no data that given equivalent macros and carb/fat sources but different protein sources (between whey and animal) that there's any outcome difference. Just a personal bias.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    What about the other way around? If I'm easily able to get enough protein through "normal food", should incorporating a little whey (perhaps PWO) be a priority or would a PWO meal of meat and rice be just as good as long as everything adds up on the bottom line of myfitnesspal?

(Assuming that I am eating a lot of meat so I don't run into the scenario where I get 200g of crappy protein from plants.)
    (By meat I mean all dead animal flesh including poultry and fish.)

A post workout meal of meat and rice is just as good as whey and no, you certainly don't NEED whey. It's just a convenience.

[QUOTE=Jordan Feigenbaum;1126930]I think you're probably doing well from a macro standpoint, but 6 meals a day with 5 of them being whey EVERYDAY is a bit more whey than I'd like. Again, I have no data that given equivalent macros and carb/fat sources but different protein sources (between whey and animal) that there's any outcome difference. Just a personal bias.

Solid. Thats what I figured. If I could snap my fingers and add variety I would. I'll tell you this, the longer I go the more refined of a product I feel like I need. Gas, bloating, GI distress, etc. Better products help. Unless its real crummy, food feels better in my tummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    If you want to be strong, you can't live on whey.
    Why not? And what percentage of your protein do you suggest getting from whey vs delicious dead animals and fish?

Just like there are things in veggies and fruits that aren't in a vitamin pill, there are things in meat that aren't in a refined protein source like whey.

I think the advantage of whey/dextrose over other proteins/starch is that whey is one of the most quickly broken down/absorbed protein, and dextrose I believe is definitely the most quickly absorbed carbohydrate. Sipping a whey/dextrose drink during a workout, or chugging one after, or even before, is one of the best ways to ensure that you are giving your body amino acids and carbohydrate to replenish muscle glycogen, and to get your muscles ready for repair.

Of course, I feel as if eating a protein/carbohydrate meal maybe an hour before a workoit would have a similar effect, but you also need to consider the rate at which the glucose/amino acids are being released into your blood, which is going to be very rapid with whey/dextrose, as opposed to a meal with fats, starches and meat proteins.

I don't feel like there's a huge difference between the two, but I do believe that one is theoretically more optimal than the other.

starting strength coach development program
    I find in $/gram that whey tends to be the cheapest source of protein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast