starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting while maintaining

Default Cutting while maintaining

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been on SS for almost 6 months. I'm 51 y/o, and went from 152 lbs to 169 lbs, which I am fine with, except too much of it was fat in my midsection. So I decided to try to cut by eliminating carbs for 2-3 weeks. I know it would be difficult to maintain progression in my lifts, and I am merely hoping to maintain my current 5RM numbers for the duration of my cutting.

Two questions: 1) Does this seem reasonable to you; and 2) Are you aware of whether there is whey protein available that does not have carbs? I know carbs help alot with taste, and calories, but am hoping to last three weeks without carbs.

Smyth,

1) It depends what you mean by cutting carbs. If you mean you eliminated them completely, I think this is far too drastic of a move considering your metrics. How tall are you?

2) Whey protein usually has 1-2g carb per serving. On ANY diet this is negligible....even a keto diet within the context of appropriate protein levels.

I am 5'9". It's not that I think I weigh too much - I'd like to weigh a lot more. I just think I didn't do a good job with my macros during my Novice LP this past 5 months when I gained almost 20 lbs but in my view a disproportionate amount of belly fat. I guess I wanted to do sort a reset - shedding my disproportionate belly fat over 2-3 weeks of no/low carb dieting, then begin LPing again with more of my gainzz being muscle from here forward. Unrealistic?

As to the whey, that's obviously nothing to worry about. I don't know why I thought it was more.

I would just adjust your intake to something that is appropriate for your demographic, reset your LP so you have some room to go up and then train like your life depends on it.

That's what I will do. Thanks.

Animal meats have no carbs.

Smyth, I'm 58 and went from 340 to 240 over 18 months a while back. The first 40-50 lbs I did using a ketogenic approach. The second 50 I just made sure to hit my daily protein, had fats between 25% to 30% of calories, and filled the rest with carbs. Ketogenic eating over the long haul is a grind.

Ketosis may have benefits in many situations, but it simply is NOT a magic pill for losing weight / fat. Bottom line - if you're not in a calorie deficit you will NOT lose fat.

Perhaps. I think cutting carbs has likely resulted in a calorie deficit. But I've lost 6 pounds in 8 days without feeling hungry, cutting out most carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiogodoymd View Post
    Animal meats have no carbs.
    I eat a large amount of animal meat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Perhaps. I think cutting carbs has likely resulted in a calorie deficit. But I've lost 6 pounds in 8 days without feeling hungry, cutting out most carbs.
    And some diuresis, no doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast