starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting while maintaining

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    Smyth, I'm 58 and went from 340 to 240 over 18 months a while back. The first 40-50 lbs I did using a ketogenic approach. The second 50 I just made sure to hit my daily protein, had fats between 25% to 30% of calories, and filled the rest with carbs. Ketogenic eating over the long haul is a grind.

Ketosis may have benefits in many situations, but it simply is NOT a magic pill for losing weight / fat. Bottom line - if you're not in a calorie deficit you will NOT lose fat.
    Larry good for bro. Good reply also

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    And some diuresis, no doubt.
    I didn't really notice it, but that may be true. I go so much already, may be hard to tell with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    I have been on SS for almost 6 months. I'm 51 y/o, and went from 152 lbs to 169 lbs, which I am fine with, except too much of it was fat in my midsection. So I decided to try to cut by eliminating carbs for 2-3 weeks. I know it would be difficult to maintain progression in my lifts, and I am merely hoping to maintain my current 5RM numbers for the duration of my cutting.

Two questions: 1) Does this seem reasonable to you; and 2) Are you aware of whether there is whey protein available that does not have carbs? I know carbs help alot with taste, and calories, but am hoping to last three weeks without carbs.

Just my 2 cents. While cutting is fine, and having a goal of keeping your strength is great, do not get frustrated if you cant keep your strength levels where they are now. You have to be on top of your nutrition game 95% of the time, and REALLY grind it out in the gym. It also doesnt help that you are a bit older. For example, I dropped from 195 to 185 over a span of 5ish months and still lost 15 lbs off my 5RM for squat. And I was happy with that.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Perhaps. I think cutting carbs has likely resulted in a calorie deficit. But I've lost 6 pounds in 8 days without feeling hungry, cutting out most carbs.
    Exactly. Regardless of your macros, if you lost fat, you were in a calorie deficit. 4-5 of those 6 lbs was fluid, which happens when you cut carbs. I understand the lack of hunger. When I was in a long-term 20% to 30% deficit with a more traditional carb intake, I can't say I suffered from hunger either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12