starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fats, Fats, Fats

Default Fats, Fats, Fats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,

Quick question, one for you and one for everyone.

Firstly for you. I am regularly struggling to hit my daily fat macros then it occured to me that I cook quite a bit in fat and I don't include that at all. Should I be? And if so is ther any guidance on how much fat is in say a chicken breast fried in olive oil?

For everyone else, anyone got any tips/tricks/recommendations on getting your fats in from 'good healthy' fats rather than the shitty ones that I'm currently getting in order to struggle over the line and hit my macros everyday.

What are we calling "bad" fats vs "good fats" here? It's important that we all speak the same language....

As far as counting fat from oils we cook in, I think we most certainly should count that as part of your fat macros. If you cook in a tbsp of olive oil, I'd say that you have the fat in a tbsp of olive oil added to your chicken. It's more important, relatively, to precise and consistent vs absolutely accurate. So I'd either start counting that fat and keep counting it forever or never count it.

How much is your fat intake?. I find it hard not to surpass it. And I have read that besides hydrogenated oils, thera are not "shitty" fats. You can season your food with olive oil beside cooking with it, eat salmon, bacon, butter, iberico ham (just because it's delicious), anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiogodoymd View Post
    How much is your fat intake?. I find it hard not to surpass it. And I have read that besides hydrogenated oils, thera are not "shitty" fats. You can season your food with olive oil beside cooking with it, eat salmon, bacon, butter, iberico ham (just because it's delicious), anything goes.
    Well, context is going to matter with respect to "anything goes" and I would mostly agree that there isn't a "bad" fat- really (besides trans fats). I would make the case that food exists on a spectrum of "goodness", with trans fats and full sugar coke being on the evil/toxic side and cruciferous vegetables being and toxin-free fish being on the other side. Butter is somewhere in the middle. Neutral, I'd say neutral.

a table spoon of coconut oil on top of grilled fish or chicken is one of my ways to get extra fats. And i'll eat avocado with pretty much anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiogodoymd View Post
    62g per day. Looking back through my fitness pal I was struggling until I started eating sausages, supermarket made cooking sauces and other things that would generally be thought of as 'not good quality food'.

So really I suppose my question should have been about getting the correct fats in without eating 'shitty' food. However I think if I count fat from cooking in my macros, I'll find it much easier. *However, this means that I've actually been under counting my fat for weeks, so should I bump up my requirement to compensate?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Well, context is going to matter with respect to "anything goes" and I would mostly agree that there isn't a "bad" fat- really (besides trans fats). I would make the case that food exists on a spectrum of "goodness", with trans fats and full sugar coke being on the evil/toxic side and cruciferous vegetables being and toxin-free fish being on the other side. Butter is somewhere in the middle. Neutral, I'd say neutral.
    So avoid trans fats then. Cool. Will do.

What are we calling "bad" fats vs "good fats" here? It's important that we all speak the same language....

As far as counting fat from oils we cook in, I think we most certainly should count that as part of your fat macros. If you cook in a tbsp of olive oil, I'd say that you have the fat in a tbsp of olive oil added to your chicken. It's more important, relatively, to precise and consistent vs absolutely accurate. So I'd either start counting that fat and keep counting it forever or never count it.
    My response to the first quote above contains a question which applies here too. Since I've not been counting them, if I start should my fat limit be raised as I haven't accurately been recording how much fat I get in the first place as I hadn't been counting fats used for cooking?

Can you explain full sugar being coke on the toxic side? I believe you have said in the past that sucrose is preferable to fructose as a source of carbs. From reading the boards, using soft drinks seems to be a somewhat common way to get easy carbs.

You probably are hitting your fat macro unless it's a crazy high goal. The first thing I realized when I started tracking recently was that my normal diet is super high in fat and that, maybe I shouldn't say this too loud, Jordan's Beastly recommendations basically amounted to a low-fat diet, for me at least. I always thought carbs were my problem. I guess they weren't helping, but fat is what consistently made me go way over in calories. I tend to eat a lot of eggs and nuts thinking they're healthy....which they are, sure, but I didn't realize they're an easy way to pound in several hundred calories without even thinking you ate much.

If you are having genuine trouble, nuts and peanut butter are your friend. Eggs. We always have olive, coconut, and canola oils, and butter in the kitchen. Treat yourself to pot roast and ribs and other not-so-lean meats. That's plenty of fat variation.

Quote Originally Posted by millsy View Post
    So really I suppose my question should have been about getting the correct fats in without eating 'shitty' food. However I think if I count fat from cooking in my macros, I'll find it much easier. *However, this means that I've actually been under counting my fat for weeks, so should I bump up my requirement to compensate?
    Only if you stop adding oil to your food to cook with and want to remain isocaloric.

Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    Can you explain full sugar being coke on the toxic side? I believe you have said in the past that sucrose is preferable to fructose as a source of carbs. From reading the boards, using soft drinks seems to be a somewhat common way to get easy carbs.
    Sucrose is half fructose and regular soda would be one way to get carbs in, though I think rice/potatoes/oats/etc. are much "better" options.

starting strength coach development program
    Are some hydrogenated oils worse than others? My understanding is that the hydrogenation process is aimed at filling unsaturated fatty acids with hydrogen molecules so that they become saturated, and in the process, some shift from sis- to trans-fats. So I would guess that oils with a higher saturated fat content(e.g., coconut oil) would be less likely to develop trans fats than oils with a lesser saturated fat content because there are fewer molecules for the hydrogen to bond to. Is this bro-science legit? Or can the saturated fatty acids turn from sis- to trans-fats just as easily?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast