starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Carb Supp

Default Need Carb Supp

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here.

I'm looking to get a new carb supplement of some type. I'm a pretty picky eater so I likely rely on supplements more than I should, but if that's what I have to do then I'll just go with it. I also eat on the go a lot. There's some days I struggle to meet my carb intake while minimizing sugar.

I currently add dextrose to my pre- and post-workout BCAAs (anywhere from 20-40g total) but I don't like how it jacks up my daily sugar intake when tracking my macros. I see waxy maize recommended here quite frequently but it seems like everyone on the interwebz has something to say about it and the information is insanely contradicting depending on the source.

I found this bb.com article that has my head turning regarding the usefulness of WMS vs other "fast carbs" like dextrose. I don't like my sugar intake being so high due to dextrose intake pre-/post-workout, but is this just me overthinking the sugar problem or should I just get the WMS and run with it?

Thanks.

The Myth Of Waxy Maize Starch And The Truth Behind It All! - Bodybuilding.com

WMS, dextrose, and maltodextrin are not terribly useful for a person who trains 1x/day unless it helps them get their carbs in more easily and thus, compliance is improved. That said, the only carb supplement worth getting is Vitargo.

Ok. I'll likely need it to hit my carb goals, so I'm thinking WMS so as to avoid sugar making up a significant amount of my carbs. That sound okay?

I looked into Vitargo and there's no way on this side of the dirt that I'll be able to afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    Ok. I'll likely need it to hit my carb goals, so I'm thinking WMS so as to avoid sugar making up a significant amount of my carbs. That sound okay?

I looked into Vitargo and there's no way on this side of the dirt that I'll be able to afford it.
    So WMS is practically sugar, just for the record and I agree that Vitargo is stupid expensive. That said, practically any carbohydrate you like and that is readily available would work just fine for your application. Rice is probably cheaper than WMS on a carb per dollar basis.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    frozen yogurt aka froyo???
    Is it a supplement if it makes up most of my carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    So WMS is practically sugar, just for the record and I agree that Vitargo is stupid expensive. That said, practically any carbohydrate you like and that is readily available would work just fine for your application. Rice is probably cheaper than WMS on a carb per dollar basis.
    What would you recommend? Something I can dump in my BCAA or protein shake would be great. I think I'd develop some health issue if 100g of my carbs is dextrose, no? I'm just trying to find something to allow me to meet my carb macros without getting into the sugar deep end. I don't always have access to mashed/baked taters or a good whole food source.

I think I'd develop some health issue if 100g of my carbs is dextrose, no?
    No. I'd just add instant oats or cereal to protein shakes and keep the BCAAs by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    No. I'd just add instant oats or cereal to protein shakes and keep the BCAAs by themselves.
    Have you ever ground up instant oats into a powder or heard of someone doing it? I think it'd make it easier to swallow in a drink? I know they make oat powder but I'm wondering if making my own powder from oats won't work just as well, and be much cheaper?

Have you ever ground up instant oats into a powder or heard of someone doing it? I think it'd make it easier to swallow in a drink? I know they make oat powder but I'm wondering if making my own powder from oats won't work just as well, and be much cheaper?
    I haven't, as I just take the dry whey + instant oats and add liquid to it. Mix and enjoy.

I like to eat my whey (not drink it) by mixing it with flavored yoghurt and oats. I find the texture pretty good, and you can add cereal to add some crunch to the mix. I should try making froyo though.

Jordan, let me piggyback on this thread and ask you a question regarding sucrose sources and peri-workout nutrition. I've seen you mention that fructose is suboptimal for strength athletes, and that we should cap fructose intake to 20g day. Does this mean that we should cap our sucrose intake to 40g? As I'm increasing my carb intake I find that I'm using things like bananas, confections or corn flakes to bump my carbs periworkout, but after reading the fructose thing I'm starting to worry. Am I better served replacing these sucrose sources with some supps made from glucose or it doesn't matter much? Start making my own confections/froyo with corn sugar?

starting strength coach development program
    It works, but oat flour costs the same as regular instant oats, especially if you buy from a place that sells in bulk to restaurants, bakeries and caterers. Saves you having to grind up yourself.

Finding a place like this is something that everyone should do btw. I can only use egg white protein, for example, as any dairy makes me feel like shit. Dried egg albumen from a shop that sells to patisseries is crazy cheap compared to the protein companies egg proteins. Some nesquick and a blender and mix-ability/taste are not an issue.

(Pure dried egg albumen is the same as the egg protein powders, nutritionally, right JF?)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast