starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with protein primarily through dairy?

Default Problem with protein primarily through dairy?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan, I couldn't find an exact, pointed answer in your sub-forum's history to this question: Are there any health concerns that wouldn't be obvious to a trainee if they were getting the majority (or all) of their protein through dairy sources?

I saw lots of answers regarding paleo, gomad, and vegetarians, but I'm none of these. I'm just a trainee that doesn't particularly enjoy eating or cooking meat (call me crazy). The seduction of not having to prepare a day's meals beyond slicing off a bunch of sharp cheddar, pouring some milk, and grabbing a couple cups of oats to go with my unflavored/additive-free whey powder is very strong - just want to make sure this "shortcut" isn't going to sabotage me somehow.

For the record, I don't have any lactose intolerance that I know of, and it sounds like I'd know if I did, and I take a solid multivitamin.

Thanks for your time!

Eh, your saturated fat intake might be a bit high, as well as total fat depending on the other parameters of the diet. I don't think there are any divine benefits of chicken vs milk outside of total cals/protein, however.

Jordan, is there such a thing as too much saturated fat or too much total fat if total calories are kept the same (and carb intake isn't "low")?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke S View Post
    Jordan, is there such a thing as too much saturated fat or too much total fat if total calories are kept the same (and carb intake isn't "low")?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Yes.
    May you elaborate on this? Is it to do with saturated fat just being a fat in general or it being specially a saturated fat? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BigA View Post
    May you elaborate on this? Is it to do with saturated fat just being a fat in general or it being specially a saturated fat? Thanks!
    Both and to elaborate in any meaningful way would take a few thousand words. I may revisit this in the future, but there's a lot out there that one could read up on.

Iron (especially women) and B12 along with a few other things might be important if you're only consuming whey long term. I'm not convinced vitamin pills are equivalent across the board.

Both and to elaborate in any meaningful way would take a few thousand words. I may revisit this in the future, but there's a lot out there that one could read up on.
    Yeah but tell us at least what's the concern, I thought "saturated fat is bad" was a 1990s thing.

Thanks for the reply on this one, Jordan.

Just for background on anyone else passing by this post - in my case, my protein is coming primarily in the form of unflavored, (mostly) additive-free whey protein isolate. Only ingredients I'm aware of are milk, and soy lecithin. It tastes like really, really, really watered down milk because I just mix it with water; it's a kind of miserable experience, but it's one of those things that makes compliance to my macros easier. The addition of milk and cheese and other dairy products is specifically to meet my fat macros easily, I keep my fats a little low, personally, but I'll keep an eye on my saturated fats to be safe.

starting strength coach development program
    Consider this another vote for the few-thousand-word missive at such point as you acquire copious spare time (i.e. never.)

In the interim, if you have a suggestion for a credible "lot out there" source, that would be spiff. I tend to feel better with higher fat and find that it helps me with compliance at the moment while I'm trying to gain (for gainzzzzZzzZz), and I usually average somewhere around 0.9 g/lb of fat, so this is of personal relevance to me. Title is fine, I don't mind wading through a book, and I do have institutional access as well if you can throw out paper titles off the top of your head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast