starting strength gym

Thread: Priority of supplements

Default Priority of supplements

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    M, 29, 5'6, 215lbs

Lifts: lol, no clue right now and am scared for my coming workup.

I am going on a much needed diet and have decided I'd like to try including supplements to help maintain mass and energy levels. Due to health reasons I dont have the option of really taking it slow and would like to push the boundaries to 2lbs a week. I have only ever experimented with ON 100% whey, but knowing how hard of a time I've had in the past with dieting and lifting I want to try more supplementation. I am looking at taking BCAAs, Creatine, and possibly Beta Alanine. It usually takes me about a week to adjust to taking 25-50g of protein, but I have no idea how to approach the others appropriately. I did read the supplements when what why section on recommended amounts, but if you could point me in the direction of how to titrate onto the others correctly I would greatly appreciate it.

Creatine mono 5g/day
    Beta alanine- 3g pre and post workout
    Betaine Anhydrous- 1g pre and post workout
    BCAAs- 10g pre and post workout
    Willpower- take as needed.

Jordan,

I'm surprised to not see you list HMB here, you seemed pro HMB for natty lifters in the supplement thread last summer. Obviously impressive study results too.

I guess my question is why do you feel that Beta Alanine and Betaine Anhydrous are better staples of a supplement stack?

Quote Originally Posted by jayshort21 View Post
    Jordan,

I'm surprised to not see you list HMB here, you seemed pro HMB for natty lifters in the supplement thread last summer. Obviously impressive study results too.

I guess my question is why do you feel that Beta Alanine and Betaine Anhydrous are better staples of a supplement stack?
    Because they're cheaper, have more evidence supporting their use that doesn't seem suspect, and in beta alanine's case we're not talking about something highly complex like muscle protein synthesis to see performance improvement. HMB is a useful supplement IMO, but the latest data seems farcical.