starting strength gym

Thread: changing macros 1 week before a meet

Default changing macros 1 week before a meet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan:
    I normally abide by the rule of not changing anything I do normally prior to a meet but a buddy of mine suggested for the last week to adjust my macros by reducing protein and increasing fat and carbs. I don't usually like fixing what isn't broke but if there is sound reasoning behind the suggestion I'm all ears.

my meet is 8/1
    161 bf 15%
    current macros/cal 1700
    p 200 - 210
    c - 100 - 120
    f - 40 - 50

Diet is clean

last week of training is a deload all sets 3 x 3, monday - squat @ 40%; tuesday bench @ 45%; Wednesday 40%

most grateful for taking the time to reply.

What would you be changing them and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    What would you be changing them and why?
    well I wouldn't Jordan to be honest. It was suggested, I don;t pretend to know everything so I thought I would run this thinking by you. On the surface it seems to make sense to drop some carbs since this last week is a deload and I am not training so I shouldn't need the same level of glucose/glycogen. Also doesn't carbs tend to retain water?

I weighed myself this morning and I am right on weight @ 73. I would like a 2 to 3 lb cushion going into Saturday.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    well I wouldn't Jordan to be honest. It was suggested, I don;t pretend to know everything so I thought I would run this thinking by you. On the surface it seems to make sense to drop some carbs since this last week is a deload and I am not training so I shouldn't need the same level of glucose/glycogen. Also doesn't carbs tend to retain water?

I weighed myself this morning and I am right on weight @ 73. I would like a 2 to 3 lb cushion going into Saturday.

thanks
    If you wanted to lose a few lbs without compromising glycogen stores you could just manipulate water and salt or, alternatively, make your last meal whey only the night before the whey in. I typically see people lose a bit of water when training volume goes down as the persistent "edema" from muscle breakdown/repair, etc. diminishes. At any rate, I would recommend against manipulating carbs if you're right on weight.

If you wanted to lose a few lbs without compromising glycogen stores you could just manipulate water and salt or, alternatively, make your last meal whey only the night before the whey in. I typically see people lose a bit of water when training volume goes down as the persistent "edema" from muscle breakdown/repair, etc. diminishes. At any rate, I would recommend against manipulating carbs if you're right on weight.
    Hey Jordan....My meet was Saturday and I did what I thought was the right move. I didn't change my diet other than I cut back a few calories but kept the macros the same. For 3 days I drank a gallon of water, Friday very little water and cut back the salt. I weighed in @ 159 @ 12 pm at the meet. That is a drop of about 3-4 lbs.

I brought with me a solution, of 4 scoops of maltodextrin, xtend BCAA blended with a hydration formula, 1 package of emergen C in (3) 16 oz bottles, I drank a 16oz bottle right after weigh in and sipped the remaining 2 bottles during the event. seemed to work. strength was good.

Great to hear and I hope you had a good meet

starting strength coach development program
    ...make your last meal whey only the night before the whey in.
    I LOL'd.

Glad to hear the plan all worked out, lou t.